UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Hello,

I'm in the same position. I have just boarded out a shower area with backer board and was intending to apply a BAL WP1 kit. Why doesn't it need tanking?

Whilst the board is not affected by moisture I didn't think that it provided a waterproof barrier.

Mark
This is one of those funny situations in my opinion. A waterproof coating is there to stop water penetrating to a substrate that will be damaged by water i.e. plasterboard, plywood or mdf for instance. If the substrate will not be affected by contact with water and as a consequence the tiles stay put what is the actual pount of tanking. OK seal the joints but why seal the rest? If a potential leak through the tiles is so serious that it will start to "flood" through the substrate the volume of water would probably stay in the tanked area anyway overflow and run out of the door.....maybe?

Just a thought, what do others think?

M

Mark B

This is one of those funny situations in my opinion. A waterproof coating is there to stop water penetrating to a substrate that will be damaged by water i.e. plasterboard, plywood or mdf for instance. If the substrate will not be affected by contact with water and as a consequence the tiles stay put what is the actual pount of tanking. OK seal the joints but why seal the rest? If a potential leak through the tiles is so serious that it will start to "flood" through the substrate the volume of water would probably stay in the tanked area anyway overflow and run out of the door.....maybe?

Just a thought, what do others think?

Grumpy - Thanks for the explanation.

I've got to fill and tape the joints anyway and the shower tray has already had one seal of silicone applied (between the tray and the backer board).

I think I'll give the WP1 a miss on this one and keep it for another job :thumbsup:

Mark.

G

grumpygrouter

Chipboard has vinyl tiles ontop which I want to remove, don't want to tile onto the adhesive.

Although I am a DIYer and this is my first floor tiling.

People have said that I can tile right onto the chipboard but I am unsure what to do about the adhesive - vinyl tiles aren't in good nick.
You can tile straight onto chipboard if the conditions are right, but if you have vinyl tiles on the top and they are dodgy you are right to overboard them. if height is not an issue you would be better laying 18mm wbp ply screwed onto your chipboard/vinyl surface.

if you go down this route, you must first ensure that te chipboard is screwed to the joists at not more than 300mm centres and then, depending on your adhesive, seal the underneath and edges of the ply.

Lay the ply across the chipboard flooring i.e. 90deg to the way the chipboard floor runs and screw through into, but not through, the chipboard. You can then tile with normal flexy adhesive which is much cheaper than the way you were going to do it.

G

grumpygrouter

Yes I noticed you had already asked the same question in another thread!

Can you not take the fastflex back and by Single part flexy or even rapidset flexy? Fastflex is not easy to work with and it goes of quickly in the bucket. To be honest if you are going to use fastflex drop the board size down to 12mm. Still much cheaper than Hardie and you don't need to have a layer of addy underneath the board with ply.

Reply to Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.