UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

j8yba

Stand in line at the returns desk (usually a long queue :lol:) and kick up a stink - they are usually quite good once you get to the manager or his deputy.

How does this method work if all of these statements are true.. A) I bought them over 3 months ago, and they've been sat under the stairs... b) ive lost the receipt (but paid via debit card) c) they're already laid and grouted, so returning them isnt really an option!

G

Gazzer

The sad thing is, we've now laid covering all over the floor whilst the rest of the work is carried out, and we're scared to walk on them in case we scratch them, just from walking?!! Surely this isnt right??

Of course its not right, they are floor tiles and are to get walked on. Dont get fobbed off with things such as " you must have scratched them with your shoes" or " Oh well these are for domestic only as we are a DIY store "

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
How does this method work if all of these statements are true.. A) I bought them over 3 months ago, and they've been sat under the stairs... b) ive lost the receipt (but paid via debit card) c) they're already laid and grouted, so returning them isnt really an option!

A. I've taken goods back that I deemed not fit for purpose 8 months after purchase date
B. The tile is a B&Q tile, this along with credit card statement will suffice
C. Obviously, but you are after some kind of recompense on account of them not being fit for purpose - You must have some spare tiles
or even off cuts to demonstrate how easy they scratch?

Kick up a stink mate and refuse to leave and they will try to sort something - whether their solution is acceptable to you
is a different story but something is better than nothing. If this doesn't work take pictures and send direct to B&Q complaints department along with
any other relevant info.

Last edited:
J

j8yba

Can i also stress as well, that the tiler pointed out that 75% YES 75% of the tiles were bent, ie not straight which means that most of the corners of each tile laid are not level!!! he showed me this by placing a spirit level across a couple of them and there was a good 3 - 4 mm difference either side.

Also I was in there today and as the sun shon across the tile, the scratches were visable.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

j8yba

38132d1327951198-heavily-scratched-just-laid-porcelain-floor-img_2177.jpg

Think Dave is on the money here check out the three finger marks at the bottom

Only just realised what you meant there, thats actually the reflection of my hand taking photo!!

O

ozboz

As a tiler. if there are any faults with the tile, he/they should have picked up on it and nformed you, especially if there is a significant amount of distortion within the tile body, as said before, Ive never had this with B&Q stuff,infact ive always found them quite good, Kilty has said there s a lot of inconsistancy with these tiles, but I can assure you I had similar distortion problems with Porcelanosa stuff, supposed to be high end, arrogant rep turned up giving out, he went away with a bomb up his ........., the tiles were duly accepted by the client, but ONLY because of deadlines, given more time they would have made them change them, some 2000 mtrs. It has been said, you need to o to the store and take it up with them, managers at these stores can act on their own discretion, if no joy,the main offices for B&Q are in Southamton, they distortion problem I would envisage would be put down to your fixer, the poor quality, ie scratching, you may get some joy, but untill you take it up with them..................... best of luck mate

S

steeeevo

I bet you are WORD REMOVED at the moment then, im laying this romsay 500 x 500 tile in the next month, i will defo do the face to face check and see if there bowed. it does seem down to luck if you get a good tile or a bad tile from b&q after all the reading i have done about this tile

just think it would have cost you £10,000 if you bought a better quality tile, then you would have had no problems though

Last edited by a moderator:
M

matami03

Hi there - new to here , as exactly the same thing has happened to me .. had 500 x500 B&Q black romsey tiles laid in my living room last week. Experienced tiler laid them, and when he had grouted they looked lovely. No-one entered the room that evening and the next morning the scratches that are shown on your photo's were all over the tiles . I was devastated, tiler was totally baffled, but agreed to grind out and relay 12 tiles (all I had left) and no-more in black in store. When all finished it look ok, but floor is still heavily mark. Have complined to four different departments and am getting nowhere with B&Q. Each person I speak to says sometime different, even though it says on the box pre-sealed , one manager said we should of clean and sealed before fixing and sealed afterwards and that is our fault ! We saved hard to buy tiles and pay tiler and I am so upset and frustrated, what should of been the focal part of my home - looks awful.
Have you had any joy from B&Q ? Does anyone have any views on why this has happened to the tiles - the flooring manager told us when we bought them that they were hard wearing tiles (although a bugger to clean !)

Reply to Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.