Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Help? Drying time and cleaning non-slip mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi all
my partner and I have been redecorating our bathroom - she is a demon tiler :) - but are struggling with a couple of problems and are looking for advice.
We decided to build a wet zone walk-in shower and so had a chippy build us a platform out of water-resistant plywood and 2x4, then coated it in paint-on Bal waterproofing gunk. All good so far...
We then layered up some flexible waterproof adhesive - a selection to be honest, some Bal and some Unibond, both original mix-it-yourself powder form - in order to build up some height and a suitable run to the drain we had set in the floor. We let it set in open air for at least a week before attempting tiling on top using mosaic tiles.
We bought non-slip mosaics as this bathroom will ultimately be used by my elderly Mum and I don't want any accidents.
So, two problems have occurred which I am hoping someone can advise on!
#1 - we bought some Unibond read-mixed flexible waterproof tile adhesive at Focus DIY because it was a special, half-price-this-weekend-only offer and I needed some quickly :) and didn't want to have to keep mixing up batches of new adhesive, and we tiled the floor of the shower tray last Sunday. Here we are on Friday and... I can feel a slight softness underfoot still as I put my foot gingerly on the tiles and slowly transfer weight. You can hear the adhesive has not yet set, it crunches. So this is ready-mix, non-rapid-set flexible adhesive which is, in some places, fairly thickly laid down over a dry layer of mix-it-yourself, rapid-set flexible adhesive, which dried and took absolutely fine the weekend before. The carton on the ready-mix Unibond says 'up to 48h drying time' but we are at 96h+ and counting! Some of the tiles with a thinner layer of adhesive, closer to the drain, feel OK. We haven't yet grouted to try and get as much air down the edges of the tiles as possible.
Have we chosen the wrong product? Will it ever dry? Is this normal? Any advice gratefully received.
#2 - we have grouted other tiles laid on the floor using Unibond ready-mixed waterproof flexible grout, sadly in chocolate brown which is nice in theory but..... apart from being mosaic tiles, which are annoying in themselves, they are non-slip and the grout clings to the surface like a limpet. If we go over it with a wet sponge as we grout, we end up smearing chocolate grout all over the tiles and sucking it up from the cracks we have just grouted. Extremely frustrating! Having done the best we could, we now have a fine, dusty patina of chocolate grout all over the floor tiles that we grouted.
So... is there a clever way to avoid this in the first place? How do I get the grout off the tile surface now that it is dried to a powder?
Any recommendations and advice gratefully received, especially #2 which is extremely annoying!

Reply to Help? Drying time and cleaning non-slip mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help? Drying time and cleaning non-slip mosaics
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.