Discuss Help - Floor tiles coming off !! in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

S

SarahW

2 years ago we had a slate floor laid on to concrete, the concrete had been down about 4 months and the tiler used a flexable adheshive. after about 2 months some tiles started to sound hollow, then they started to crunch when you walked on them and now they are coming up. In some parts of the room they are raised up by about 4mm, when we took some up they lift clean off, the adheshive has stuck to the concreate but not to the tiles. Does anyone know why this has happened?

S

sWe

I'm fairly sure that he didn't clean the tiles before they were laid - would this be enough for them to not stick ?
The concrete seemed dry, it was kicking up a lot of dust - should he have tiled on to new concrete?

The longer you wait, the better, when it comes to newly cast concrete, but as long as you use materials specced for the age and type of concrete you're using them on, you'll be fine. Vacuum cleaning, or atleast brushing off, dusty surfaces, is definatly something to recommend when tiling. Dusting off tiles before using them is also something I'd strongly recommend.

My guess is that the tiler didn't dust of the tiles properly before using them. It is also very possibly that the tiler didn't use a correctly specced adhesive, in combination with exceeding the open times of the adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
I personally don't think it has anything to do with ,cleaning the slate or the amount of time the concrete was left,i have seen this in the past and it was all down to the thickness of the serrator the tiler used,if he has used a thin notched serrator on the floor they tend not to adhere to the slate instead they stick to the conrete and the tiles are only held in place by the grout until you get some traffic on it .

Not saying thats it but i have seen it a few times with slate and the reason has only been down to the depth of the bed.

Reply to Help - Floor tiles coming off !! in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB