UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help! I'm a contractor get me out of here! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
For those who may not be aware, I have elderly parents who live in East Grinstead (near Gatwick) and so to do the occasional job 'down south' is a bonus for me! I get to see them each month, meet some like minded members and do interesting work - so really this forum has helped me more than you would know.
However last week's job in Surrey the only problem was the wife wanted to go to Wimbledon - fortunately it rained on the Monday! - now if Newcastle had been playing..............

.............Cliff Richard at Wimbledon is more entertaining than watching Newcastle TJ :smilewinkgrin:

PS Don't forget the nudist beach as well, although it is unisex!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Well I'am back!
Honed slate bathroom (which original 'tiler' started and stopped) he was tiling onto emulsion with 600x300x12mm tiles. Had to clean up 14 pieces and re use. In the end it was a bullnose edge that was accepted and no mitring. Only issue in fixing was the surface was bowed and the design was brickbond. But it turned out okay.
Travertine shower room were pre sealed Porcelanosa and it worked out well.
The original Porcelain bathroom was a mess - at least 18 no. @ 600x450mm tiles need replacing and even then he'd set the room out wrong so in the basin recess the bond from floor to wall was 75mm out of centre so the basin wouldn't be in the middle of a tile - however the contracted tile fixer said they would be able to put it right (lol) so we wait with baited breathe!
Must have passed the Colour Republic standard of acceptance as the customer would like me to go back soon and do their parents bathroom when they move out! Mind you I told them I'll have to go through Rob though.
Nice job and good to meet the Colour Republic.

C

Colour Republic

I'm am lost for words as to what the original tiling firm have just done!!!!

They messed up the tiling, so the boss comes down and agrees it's rough, no problem he'll sort it personally and start tues... tuesday comes and goes, i finally get hold of him a week later on the wednesday, he apologises and says he'll be there tomorow (i.e. today) he's late so i ring him and he tells me he had to pick up the tiles to get on, 1 hour later he sends me a text message saying that he doesn't think he's going to get paid and wants half the money upfront. JOG ON!!! I assure him he will get paid as soon as the customer is happy which we agreed on at the meeting 2 weeks ago.

I then found out he's left site and now can't get hold of him but i'm told "he dropped off the replacement tiles he borrowed"... What??? What do you mean borrowed?? Turns out last week he walked on site and asked if he could take 3 packs of tiles to finish a job he was doing round the corner!!!! The ****ing cheek of it!!!!! He messes up a job then decides he can come and take tiles that he never even paid for it was all supplied by me and he has the cheek to 'borrow' them! I'm am about to blow as this guy is taking the **** out of me. Prick

T

Time's Ran Out

Sorry to hear this Rob, but I wondered when he came to site if it would actually happen. The only solution I could see was a complete strip out and start again.
However now apart from taking action for poor workmanship, theft of materials seems the answer and contact with the Police. If you were to use the tiles he replaced - are they the same shade? You needed at least 20 tiles to put right the bad cuts and that's all you had!

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Not easy to find tradesman you can trust. Had "tiler" (and his mate) to do two shower rooms for me two weeks ago. Tilers mate did good job in one shower room, but "tiler" him self :mad2:. lippage everywhere grout line 1mm-2,5mm. In only 2m tiles are out of level by 5mm. Didn't wash grout properly, needs regrouting some places. When i asked to come back to wash tiles etc., he said "i'm not comming just for that". So i'll pay him only for one shower room. Simple

T

Time's Ran Out

As I completed the 2 stone bathrooms to the customers satisfaction, on Tuesday the original tiling firm asked me to go to back down to Brighton and 'sort out' the porcelain bathroom! He said it was only 2 days work and he pays £160-00 a day!
Also he had another job ready so ASAP and it was 1st of 6 houses (carrot).
Anyway as it was all done by texting and he didn't call back I'am assuming he found another 'tiler' to feed peanuts to.
As much as I'd like to help the customer out, I think this may run a little longer.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help! I'm a contractor get me out of here! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.