Discuss Help - Lady in distress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tinkerbelle

:mad2:

Hello

Am desperate for some advice from anyone out there - I have just had a new heating system installed and had the pipes laid into the floor (concrete) - the original sand/concrete screed cracked and crumbled, espcially in the hallway, so had the guys back, they were originally going to lay concrete over the top until I asked them to take out the crumbling stuff, the pipes looked to be laid into sand, not lagged - he then laid a stronger concrete mix, and guess what, this has started to crack and crumble - we had a general builder in who laid a self levelling compound over this and yes, you guessed it..... so my question is, should the pipes be lagged and what can I lay over them which won't crack/crumble, we were hoping to either lay laminate floor or tiles, or maybe lino which looks like laminate - hoping someone, somewhere can help as now don't know who to believe!? Alos had electric UFH in the bathroom laid, waited about 6 weeks to switch it on, and one of the tiles is now moving and the grouting crumbling around it - any suggestions, or is it a case of take the tile up and re-lay, will this damage the UFH?

T

Tinkerbelle

Thanks for replying :hurray: - the pipes are leading to radiators, and the original filler looked the colour of wall plaster, which I thought it was, but they said it was a bad mix of concrete filler/ not their usual brand, the next lot was just standard concrete mix I believe, not flexible - should the pipes have been lagged at all, have read about copper pipes reacting with concrete/plaster?

The bathroom substrate was plywood, the floor boards were removed to gain some extra depth to allow for the underfloor heating/tiles etc, so it was newly laid, not whether they self levelled over UNFH as I wasn't ling there at the time, but going by time frame I doubt it, I saw the UFH one day and then the next they started tiling - is that bad?

nybor62

TF
rotherham
just wondering do you know how thick the ply was,, the right way is to self level over ufh with a flexible screed , this also protects the wires when laying the floor, if they just tiled over the wires , and some of the wires are not fully covered , they can burn out making the ufh useless , the grout crumbling away suggests they aint used a flexy grout or to much bounce in the floor

any pics off the floor in the hall way and bath floor

T

Tinkerbelle

Hello

Sir Ramic - If the pipes are bedded in sand, would that work as a "lagging" and would I only have to worry if there was cement touching the pipes?

nybor62 - No pics of the hallway, as now been covered in a self levelling screed - should we remove it and start again do you think? then maybe I could get a picture of the pipes. The contractor who laid the bathroom UFH and tiles has said he will come back and take a look at the floor, he's a "sensitive type" who doesn't like being questioned, but what should I be asking him, how think is the ply? did he level over the UFH cables, anything else?

D

Deleted member 9966

are they copper pipes Tinkerbelle, or plastic ones?

if they are copper, then they should be lagged in something to stop deterioration in the event that the copper and the concrete react with each other. if they are plastic pipes (usually blue if carrying water), then you may not need any lagging but it's worth checking with a plumber.

my parents had copper water pipes sunk into concrete in their extension and after 25 years a massive leak began just after Christmas and ruined the concrete floor in their kitchen and dining room. and because it wasn't due to weather conditions, it was not covered under the house insurance as accidental damage either, so my parents have carpets up all over the place waiting for the concrete to dry out.

T

Tinkerbelle

The sand/cement screed was probably about 3 inches, not entirley sure, I just saw a brief flash when they were removing the crumbing bits, the cement replacement "top" was probably only 1/2 inch? The pipes are all cooper and all they've said is that they can assure us they will be fine, but not why it keeps cracking?

There's obviously movement, so when we walk on it, it moves and "snaps" am loathed the get them back, but maybe there's no other way?

Reply to Help - Lady in distress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help - Lady in distress
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.