Discuss Help.... The dreaded 6mm ply in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mbcmultitrade

I have just tiled a bathroom floor which comprised of 6mm ply, over t&g chipboard flooring, - which then had an UFH coil taped to the ply. I reluctantly tiled onto the ply and consequently the adhesive has failed. The griut has cracked and there is movement on the corners of the tiles (60x30)
I was sure there was no real deflection in the original floor, and I assumed tiling onto the 6mm ply would be sufficient, despite hearing the odd horror story re the dreaded 6 mm ply.

Yes - I was wrong.

Can someone explain to me why you should not tile onto 6mm ply and how/why it fails the tiles/adhesive.

Also. Moving forward, Can I now remove the tiles and use a flexible SLC on top and then re-tile, or do I have to rip up the ply & UFH and start again with Hardi backer?

Your advice and 'told you so's' greatly appreciated.

P.s
I used Nicobond Quick flex ady and primed the ply twice with Nicobond acrylic primer.

C

Concrete guy

Fundamentally, there was too much movement (flexing) in the substrate as it hadn't been reinforced sufficiently.

That really is the top and bottom of it.

A thicker ply or suitable backer board screwed down would have reduced movement, cracking, flexing.

There are some that would also incorporate an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra Matting on top of the reinforcement. On a small bathroom floor I feel that's overkill - but some tilers will require it.

Moving forward, Can I now remove the tiles and use a flexible SLC on top and then re-tile, or do I have to rip up the ply & UFH and start again with Hardi backer?
So you're still tempted to keep the ply though, hoping that it'll be better 2nd time round? I think we should pass this one onto a good local Tiler to sort out. And if he's good, stick with him & use him for any future tiling projects

Last edited:
M

mbcmultitrade

Thanks for all of your angry comments and advice. I hold my hands up, i know I've cocked it up, - I just want to do the right thing in getting it right. I have been tiling a few years now, and never tiled onto 6mm ply before until this occasion. I did it this time round though, as I took advice the builder on site who had said they had been doing it for years and had never had a problem.

Thanks to ATSdiamondtools for the only piece of helpful advice in this thread :)

M

Marksmithtiling

Thanks for all of your angry comments and advice. I hold my hands up, i know I've cocked it up, - I just want to do the right thing in getting it right. I have been tiling a few years now, and never tiled onto 6mm ply before until this occasion. I did it this time round though, as I took advice the builder on site who had said they had been doing it for years and had never had a problem.

Thanks to ATSdiamondtools for the only piece of helpful advice in this thread :)

AAHH that old chestnut,took the advice of the BUILDER, been doing it for years not a problem !!!!!!!!:mad2:

Reply to Help.... The dreaded 6mm ply in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi All, im after some advice on flooring if i may. What i am planning on doing is removing the...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB