UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help: YOUR OPINION is needed. We need your input on what tile drills sizes you need!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Help we need your opinion on what other drill sizes you need.

We have been asked to produce a new core set for one of our larger clients but to get that many diamond cores into one pack we will have to swap from clam shells to a case. In the mockup unit below there are TWELVE diamond cores and the price point looks to be about £139.99 for the complete set.

155196_462734277013_617362013_5633047_4337527_n.jpg

£139.99 for twelve drills. But have they got it right?

But I am not convinced their buyers have got it right. This is where I need your help. What sizes do YOU think will be popular?

Starting from our main pack below:

kit2.jpg

£49.99 = SEVEN drills in five standard sizes. £7.15 per drill.

With the above as a starting point I thought the sizes you guys would need to ADD would be

1) 18mm - Reason - Extra room on radiator pipes
2) 25mm - Reason - Correct size for 22mm bath pipes
3) 35mm - Reason - Monoblock taps for sinks
4) 45mm - Reason - Larger bath waste of 40mm internal diameter pipe
-------------
Plus
-------------
5) 6mm x 2 (Total box would have 4x6mm) Reason - Main holes are the rawl plugs
6) 8mm x 2 As above.

Total extra number of cores in the pack. 7+8 = 15 cores.

Retail Price Point: From £99 ro £150

Does this seem like value for money? Are my sizes correct? Have I missed anything?

163262_462413292013_617362013_5627029_941213_n.jpg

All bathrooms need holes. Would a 15 core set, with the diamond cores set out in a case be popular? Or are we missing a trick.

4 x 6mm | 4 x 8mm | 1 x 16mm, 18mm, 25mm, 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, 45mm

Your thoughts.. PLEASE !

Last edited by a moderator:

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Re: Help: YOUR OPINION is needed. We need your input on what tile drills sizes you ne

richard my honest opinion is the sizes you have are fine,but i dont own your drills myself but if your using ceramics/porcelain then a set of parrot nips will make the hole the right size if needed.

Myself ,i wouldnt pay £100-£150 for a set of drill bits,unless they were really needed.

£50 i would and have paid and when i need a new set of core bits i will buy yours as i have seen them in action and they do appear to be far better than the ones i have.

D

Deleted member 1779

Re: Help: YOUR OPINION is needed. We need your input on what tile drills sizes you ne

Myself ,i wouldnt pay £100-£150 for a set of drill bits,unless they were really needed.

Thanks for that. The dilema we have faced in the past is that to own a full "set" of drills from Armeg, Macrist, Rubi, they come in at about £300.

In our range we only have one diamond core "Kit" and yet at £50 the genuine feedback from customer to retailers has been at that price is "too CHEAP". An example is when we attended INSTALLER LIVE trade show (Corgi & Gas Safe) The gas plumbers shyed away from a £50 kit because - at that cheap price its bound not to work.

So the thinking is that the range MUST expand - And it must go UP IN PRICE. Maybe we offer 3 or 4 different kits. Perhaps we have a "Plumbers kit" an "Electricians Kit" a "Tilers Kit". But the problem is the pipework (in my opinion) is the same whatever trade you are in. Perhaps we need a £300 kit. A £200 kit. A £100 kit and a £49.99 entry level pack which would still be the bathroom fitters kit. The question then becomes do the sizes in the BFKMX form part of these other kits or do we make them with other core sizes?

All feedback is genuinely sought. I have heard that people wont pay hundreds for kits but the weight of evidence does seem to support a demand for bigger budgets. The only real way to test the market is to supply the goods but I want to get the sizes and prices right before forking out all the set up costs for cutting out the foam to the exact sizes. I dont want to put out an "all in one" case or the "dream selection" only to find I missed a critical size...

Oh and the reason I put the 115mm in above (not the 110mm) is because I ALWAYS try to persude buyers to go that 5mm extra. At 4" the 110mm is the correct core for the large waste BUT its common for most extract fans to be about 115mm. By suggesting the 115 it does two jobs instead of one.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Richard, going against the grain a bit here. But I wouldn't change your model at all. For those that don't want a kit 'cheap', don't change your existing model. That model is for the happy customers that grew your business over the years. What you want to do is introduce a 'kit' for a plumber that knocked your existing kit back at that trade show, and give them something perhaps between your existing product and the product they would be expected to buy (you'll need to ask them what that is, and feel free to use the plumbers forum, they're sound lads there).

I'm just reading Alan Sugar's autobiography and his whole approach was to do what the "big boys" do, but cheaper, and quicker. Obviously it's not a the same, computers were growing quickly back then. He met a different market level at first but once demand was high enough big boys had to take his stock. You have a demand here by the plumbers, but they're not asking for the same product (which I'm pleased to say you do at a very decent price - with the after sales and customer service to fully back it [and it's all UK-based and I personally love that more so]), they're asking for one that's what they're used to.

So give them it. But ask them what they want. Our tilers want your gear in the main, mz30 being a minority (no offence) which is fine, but perhaps he'll buy the plumbers version?

Keep your model that's working, and see if you can make what the plumbers want to work?

All just feedback. And I hope I'm on the right wave length.

D

doug boardley

Whew well I understand the need. Its a big beast tho !!

115mm.jpg

if we put it in the pack the case would have to RRP at about £149.99 with it in.
Aaah, I didn't realise that you did one already mate, I'll be needing another one before much longer so I'll get an order in with you for one:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

Keep your model that's working, and see if you can make what the plumbers want to work?

I think your point is right. In effect you are saying we should keep the basic Bathroom Fitters Kit then supplement what we have already by creating NEW kits.

The demand for more expensive kits seems to be coming from plumbers not tilers so I will pop over to the plumbers forum to ask what they use (size wise).
It's that market where we may need to see a "case" rather than a "clam-shell" because of the weight of the contents.

B

brinkley

richard what i have found with the plastic template is that it eats into the template no matter how slow i go would a better template be the same thing but made of a more robust material or suckers you put on the tile so the guide is higher hence the diamond core not touching the plastic and not eating into it

D

Deleted member 1779

template be the same thing but made of a more robust material

We have had comments that the diamond cores wear away the (plastic) drill plate. This was never supposed to be an issue but it seems the drills last longer that they are supposed to. In effect the lifespan of the product is too good !

So the longer you use the drill bits the more you wear the guide plate.

Couple of things about that. If anyone ever needs a spare always email me and I will send to you.
In the box kit we will add extra plates (about three plates) so hopefully there will be more life.

Finally we urge everyone to use the plate for a few seconds only to start the hole then remove it - the core doesnt need the plate to drill the hole.

br3a.jpg

Remove plate as quickly as possible when drilling

br4a.jpg

When the hole is this deep

br6a.jpg

The drill will slot into the socket

br2a.jpg

Then grab a water cooling sponge and get it underneath the diamond core drill bit
to collect all the tile dust AND to cool it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help: YOUR OPINION is needed. We need your input on what tile drills sizes you need!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
D
Do you need to drill holes in very hard porcelain tiles? Do you want to do it with ease, using...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
Busy this week? Why not come and see us in Devon. We will be giving visitors a sneek look at...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.