Discuss Hey, I'm new.. looking for a training centre near Blackpool? Advise needed. :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mitch012

Hey guys,
I've just registered.. I'm seeking some information, really hope you guys can help me out.

I'm only nineteen, I've been working as a fitness trainer for the last year or so. But I have always had a desire to work in the construction trade partly because my dad was a joiner - recently retired, and step dad was a Tiler, I did little jobs with him on weekends back when I was in school and just loved it, but never really got the opportunity to take a course.

I live in blackpool, lancashire.. I'm looking for a fast track tiling course (upto 10 weeks or so) but I can't find any training centres what are local to me. I don't have the spare cash to travel upto a training centre and pay for accomodation. I am just wondering if anybody knows any near me?

As I'm only nineteen also, I would like to work for a Tiling company (Not self-employment) for a couple of years, what are your opinions on this?

Thanks - Mitch
(Sorry if it's off-subject.)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd say finding an employer will be tough right now as tilers themselves are not the busiest of trades in the main. But good luck either way.

Always make sure you visit the training centre yourself and try to speak to old students that have been there if you can.

Get in touch with some that have left feedback in our forums etc.

All the best and welcome along. :)

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Hi Mitch
If you are looking for a course up to 10 weeks then you are going to need some major money in your pocket to pay for it, doesnt matter where you train in the country, local or not, private training courses are roughly priced at £80 - £100 per day, this takes into account the tutor fees, materials, taxes, and centre running costs etc so 10 weeks (ie 50 days ) = £4000 -£5000 in course fees, way too much money to spend, If you are trying to learn the cheapest way then try and get on a college course, this will still cost you but not as much but the pace will be slow and will take a long time, 1-2 weeks is all we need with you to give your the correct start so you know what your doing then you can try and latch onto a tradesman and give him a hand whilst you gain a bit more experience, we have a 10% discount offer on at the moment if that helps
Regards
Darren

M

Mitch012

I really appreaciate the replies guys, thankyou. Well I went hunting again today and found a training course about 2 miles from me, which starts in september, 1st and 2nd year all in one year instead of taking two years, aprox 40 weeks, 2.5 days a week. Which to me sounds out standing considering it's free - based for people who are over 19. If anybody wondered why it's over 19 It's because in college over 19's have to pay course fee's. Darren where is your training based? I'm guessing it isn't near me? :(

As I'm only nineteen, I would like to work for a Tiling company once qualified (Not self-employed) for a couple of years, what are your opinions on this?
And as this course I've found doesn't start till september what would you suggest I do while I wait? is there anything I could try to do to get a headstart?

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.
Mitch

T

Time's Ran Out

:thumbsup:Treat the next 10 months like a gap year and enjoy yourself.
Get any job and work hard to earn some money then have a holiday.
Check out all the threads on Tilers Forum on starting your own business and ask questions so you have a good insight into the work involved.
Try and get a visit to a forum member for a taster day and make the tea as your input in return for his/her knowledge and learn.
The time will fly so get prepared early and relax.
I've a wedding present job to do in the next few months in the Bolton area so PM me your telephone number and when its comes off I'll get the kettle on!
But only if you stay interested:thumbsup:

M

Mitch012

I actually feel really welcome on this forum :)..

Okay, Well I've just recently been on a holiday, and I've got a flat so I'm always working, I guess I'll attempt to save for driving lessons that'll be my goal.
I'll keep that in mind, I shall keep upto date. Ohh that would be a fantastic, so much help :) and it prepares me, the more I know the better chances I have. I'll always be interested in Tiling, It was always a struggle finding the opportunity that was the problem. Will Pm now.. Thanks again John.

Mitch

Reply to Hey, I'm new.. looking for a training centre near Blackpool? Advise needed. :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Pleasure to meet you all. I’m after some help/advice please. After working in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm having problems finding a tiler who knows how to use Kerdi board. I've had a few...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hey, I'm new.. looking for a training centre near Blackpool? Advise needed. :)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.