Discuss Hi, looking for some support with first travertine bathroom. Thank you in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Beags

Hi everyone,

I'm a couple of weeks away from beginning my first tiling job in my bathroom. I've been searching this site for several days now and have a few ideas but there's just so much to absorb and I would be really grateful for some clarity.

I'd like to be able to give something back but at the moment I'm all questions - one day I hope!

My plan for my 10ft by 7ft victorian terrace bathroom is as follows....
  • full pedestal basin, close coupled toilet, bath with shower over and valves etc built behind a pertition wall, victorian style radiator & one window to tile around.
  • 12mm 400mm x 400mm medium unfilled travertine floor tiles
  • 12mm 400mm x 600mm medium unfilled travetine wall tiles
  • Currently cermaic tiles on skimmed plasterboard which I plan to remove and replace with new plasterboard. I don't think there is a stud wall behind the plasterboard but just the old brickwork, I suspect it is bonded rather than screwed and plugged
  • I believe the floor is currently ply wood which I may replace with the same to keep cost to a miniumum
I would appreciate help from anyone with a few questions which are:
  1. Can I replace the plasterboard and using a dot & dab technique rather than plugging and screwing into the old brickwork?
  2. What adhesive should I use for a) the floor and b) the walls? Can I use the same stuff? Waterproof for all the room?
  3. Do I need to prime the plaster board? If so, with what?
  4. Should I seal before laying the tiles as well as after?
  5. What's a good colour grout for medium coloured travertine and leading from that question, what grout should I use?
  6. When grouting, can I spread the grout over the entire tile as you would with ceramic or do I need to be more precise when filling the gaps on travertine?
  7. What's a good tile spacer size for these size tiles?
  8. Best notch size for spreading adhesive on walls and floor?
  9. How big a gap should I leave between where the bottom wall tile meets the floor tile... and what about internal corners?
  10. I'm going to get a Rubi 180 for this job. What do I need for drilling though the tiles for radiator pipes and other fixtures and fittings such as toilet roll holder and towel rail?
  11. Do I need to use silicone anywhere? If so, what would you recommend?
  12. Is anyone against using Lithofin sealants? If not, what specific product should I use to keep the stone looking as natural as possible?
  13. Presumably the process is... remove existing tiles and suite, temporary fit new sanitaryware, sort plumbing, remove new sanitaryware, tile walls (apart from bottom tile), tile floor, tile bottom wall tile, final for on new sanitaryware? Does anyone disagree?
I think that's it for now. Sorry to be so prescriptive but it helps me to try lay my thoughts out on paper (head's all over the shop at the minute).

Thank you very much
Chris

B

Beags

Hi, I don't wish to be a pain but I didn;t get any replies to my previous question and I'm nearing the point of completing the tiling and moving on to grouting etc.

I'm planning on applying Lithofin MN Stain Stop to seal my travertine, but I'm also considering applying a coat of Lithofin MN Colour Intensifer as well (haven't bought it yet though).

Can I apply the Colour Intensifer before the Stain Stop?

Thank you
Chris

B

Beags

Re: Hi, looking for some support with first travertine bathroom. Thank

maybe hes just busy still tiling:smilewinkgrin:

Evening Everyone.

I'm really sorry for the delay posting pictures. Yes, I was a little ignorant of me. I couldn't have done it without all your help and support.

No, it didn't take me 3 years but the job did drag a couple of months before everything was done.

As it happens, I just spent this weekend scrapping old grout out of the floor and around a couple of tiles in the shower before applying fresh grout. Also put another coat of Stain stop on on Sunday night.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1835.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1836.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 34
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi, looking for some support with first travertine bathroom. Thank you in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB