UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi to everyone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alsager Tiling

I have just left RAF after 24 years, i have completed a 4 week course with PTS and am now raring to go. Based in Alsager on the Cheshire /Staffs border. Have done a few jobs for a builder friend with a few others in the pipeline. I have been asked to quote for a car showroom floor - 300sq mtrs. Not sure if this is too much for me given my lack of experience. Any views on the subject.

Thanks
Andy Brookes
Alsager Tiling

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hey Any and welcome to the forums.

That's a fair big floor to start off with. I'd quote for it though I think if I was in your shoes. Just make sure that if you're not fully up to speed yet, you are loose with your time-scale, but quote per meter price or just general job price. Either way, a big floor is easier than a big bathroom in my opinion so it's not like you've taken on the hardest task in the world, I can just imagine it taking a while to do.

How was PTS?

A

Alsager Tiling

Thanks for that.

I quoted £20 per mtr but he wanted me to drop lower, which i haven't done. I haven't heard anything yet so presume its too high. Had another couple of tilers lined up to help so could have gone a bit lower really.

PTS course was excellent, a few questions still unanswered, for example, i have been asked to quote on a new conservatory floor, its only just been built, and i am under the impression that a new concrete floor has to be left for 6 weeks to dry out. The lady in question wants it done next week and has been given quotes to do so by other tilers. Do they know something i don't?

C

Concept PHT

Your absolutely right about the concrete floor - it goes back to the old line of certain tilers that done crap courses ripping people off.

Eventually, the tiles will start to lift from the floor as the adhesive will not cure correctly. Why don't you take a copy of the british standards / building regs round and point it out to her?

As for the car showroom, did you quote using epoxy stuff? I think you could have gone for 16/17 psm and paid your subs 15psm, as there would be large areas where you dont have to cut thus banging the tiles down all day long. The speed at which you work at would compensate for the 'usual rate' loss.

:)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi to everyone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
D
Just a quick intro about me. I'm 25 and just just starting out on my own in tiling. Done a...
Replies
Views
DN1986
D
D
Hi all, Im Danny and have been looking around TF for some time now. Recently I made the...
Replies
Views
jolly fix
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.