UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi ya, i really need some help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi flower

im not going to add to the above advice as it is correct, im just posting to say how sorry I am that your first attempt at tiling went so wrong for you

persever with this and redo it and you will have a job that you and your parents will be proud of

Can't say more than that. It goes to show how important adhesive selection is. And how important it is to use a dedicated tile forum to find out what adhesive to use too ;)

F

flowerpot

The tiles weren't out in the rain, he was cutting them outside (under a brolley) :hurray: but even the ones he didn't need to cut that were dry have the exact same problem :thumbsdown:

All tiles are now removed, hard work :incazzato:

However, the row of tiles we did with the BAL Rapid Set adhesive have virtually the same problem, they seem to be much harder to remove but when removed there is virtually no adhesive stuck to the tile, the adhesive is an absolute nightmare to remove from the wall :mad2:

Can anyone think of why this would be happening?

I'm really starting to panic now and this is the good stuff I'm using and having the same trouble.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
hi flowerpot if you removed the tiles ,then re=tiled using the bal adhesive just leave over night then grout them there will be no probs . you say they were hard to remove the ones stuck with the bal , you have to have faith in the adhesive , i could tile with bal adhesive and take the tiles of later , after a day .it doesent mean its not worked , it will cure more over time .hope this helps

F

flowerpot

Flowerpot, would you like somebody to call round, I'm sure there's quality guys that are forum members that could have a look, or could you possibly post some pics please?

I can't afford it sorry, I'm going to have to sort this mess out myself as I'm already going to have to buy more adhesive that wasn't planned :(

I could do pictures :smilewinkgrin:, what would you like pictures of?

F

flowerpot

hi flowerpot if you removed the tiles ,then re=tiled using the bal adhesive just leave over night then grout them there will be no probs . you say they were hard to remove the ones stuck with the bal , you have to have faith in the adhesive , i could tile with bal adhesive and take the tiles of later , after a day .it doesent mean its not worked , it will cure more over time .hope this helps

But the tile had the same problem of hardly any adhesive actually on the tile, only on the wall as with the tubbed Cerafix stuff?

Is my boyfriend not doing it properly? Is there something he could be doing wrong?

nybor62

TF
rotherham
have you re-tiled it with powdered adhesive if so just leave it dont try taking them off it will work.i under stand were your coming from . please trust me if you stuck them with bal powdered adhesive it will work theres no point looking at them then saying right see if you can take one off because you would be able to, just leave it as long as you can before you groutit

Last edited:
G

Gazzer

I wish you could have responded sooner to your whereabouts. I am not far away and maybe i could have given a clue to why you are having such trouble. Unfortunatley I am out the area tomorrow, also in the wrong direction but i would have been happy to take a look.
Without re reading the thread,
Are you spreading the wall ? Are the tiles dry? what surface are you tiling to? Are you pressing the tiles into the adhesive and using a slight twisting motion? If you are spreading the wall, are you tiling before the adhesive "skins" over?

D

DHTiling

I can't afford it sorry, I'm going to have to sort this mess out myself as I'm already going to have to buy more adhesive that wasn't planned :(

I could do pictures :smilewinkgrin:, what would you like pictures of?

Never say that on here..:lol:..

If a members is close enough to you, i'm sure one might pop round and show you how to stick them so they won't fall off..

F

flowerpot

pictures of the walls you're trying to tile, the tiles themselves, and possibly the back of the tiles that have debonded:thumbsup:

The wall I'm tiling on
DSC02276.jpg

The removed tile with hardly any adhesive on it
DSC02277.jpg

The face of the tile
DSC02279.jpg

F

flowerpot

I wish you could have responded sooner to your whereabouts. I am not far away and maybe i could have given a clue to why you are having such trouble. Unfortunatley I am out the area tomorrow, also in the wrong direction but i would have been happy to take a look.
Without re reading the thread,
Are you spreading the wall ? Are the tiles dry? what surface are you tiling to? Are you pressing the tiles into the adhesive and using a slight twisting motion? If you are spreading the wall, are you tiling before the adhesive "skins" over?

Thanks for the offer, so very kind of you :thumbsup:
I'm spreading the wall yes, tiling onto existing tiles which were cleaned thoroughly with sugar soap, and yes pressing the tile with slight twisting motion, If it was "skinning" over surely the first few tiles I put on wouldn't have this trouble?

are you near birmingham airpot im down there friday i would gladly pop in to see whats wrong and sort it if i can

Half hour or so from Birmingham Airport but thanks very much.

F

flowerpot

pm me if you like i will have a look no prob

Thanks you for the offer but I can't afford a professional :bigear:

are you pressing the tile into the adhesive and is the adhesive wet enough and not too dry?

Yes, pressing with slight twisting motion, My boyfriend did think the bagged adhesive he mixed was a little dry/too thick?

Reply to Hi ya, i really need some help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.