Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

IMG_3102.JPG My Mrs will be glad when the day comes she doesn't have to wesh me back

M

mp3wizard

So my brother and I put down the compound, used all 8 bags, it wasn't enough, I had to go out and buy an additional 5, used the spiked roller, tried to use the trowel as little as possible. so I have covered 70% of the surface i'd say, it was definitely difficult trying to keep it level, I found the sticky adhesive came off a bit whilst rolling, and by using the spiked roller, quite a few threads of the mat came off, but I don't believe any wires came lose or moved too much. unfortunately the cold tail lead is sticking up a bit, and also the powerleads are still above the service here and there, i'm planning to do the rest of slc tomorrow, a couple of areas I can see that the electric wires aren't so covered as others, but i'll just have to do what I can tomorrow. i'm feeling average about things, I don't think it was a complete disaster but it definitely wasn't as perfect as i'd hoped.

M

mp3wizard

before everyone jumps on me for speaking like that, lets not forget this is a chap who has contributed 3 times to the thread, each time with nothing but negativity and contempt. I obviously have listened to advice as initially I was going to tile straight over the heating mats with no insulation, so I have done my best so far.

Yes I accept things didn't go to plan today, but what I need now is constructive advice for how to try and resolve tomorrow, not someone with a told you so attitude waiting to pounce on my every mistake.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
I know you don't want to hear this but, I think you need to pay someone to come in and at least sort the slc, it's a bit of an art form to get perfect dispute the name it doesn't just self level, and your going to be attempting to put large format tiles on this, of the floor isn't right you will have NO chance of getting a good finish. I still agree with early comments about getting someone in to do the whole job, you aren't going to do that. Bit I would really consider paying someone for this bit at least because of the prep isn't right the tiles won't be, regardless of who you are, pro or not

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Yes you can, you can go over the whole floor again with another coat, SLC over ufh matts is even more difficult as the wires and matting can float and drag levels off, but please do take head of the words that if the prep isn't right, or the floor isn't flat and level before you start laying tiles then you don't have any chance with tiles this big

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

DIY Tiling Advice Forum

Trending DIY Tiling Forum Threads

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB