Discuss how do you get work? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

How do we all generate business for ourselves then people?

Most of my work is now word of mouth and through a property developer friend,i dont advertise in local papers as i found there were too many timewasters and it was working out expensive,havent advertised in newspaper for over around 18 months..did a leaflet drop of around 500 leaflets and never got one call,so that was a waste of time..lol

so please tell us how you get your work.:smilewinkgrin:

W

White Room

It's thru guys I know or have contact thru other work, I tried advertising through the local paper, which I did many years ago for the plastering and work was good then...remember I have been around for a very long time and have met many tradesmen.

Some of the jobs you would'nt give house room from the local papers but again have had some good work as well, my son done the prep work, holy moses...

Contacts with other trades is a first class starting point, plumbers are a good contact.

I have no website, no advertising, perhaps I sit on my larauls and need a kick up the rear at times to get my act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

doing a good job is the best advert and having a good rapport with your clients, knowing your trade inside out gives them confidence in you

getting leads is always the hard part and can work out uneconomical, you need to be thinking along the lines of allowing 10% of your turnover for marketing and if its successfull you can easily add 20% to your rates plus marketing is tax deductable

keep a local presence through having your van written, I have trade boards I leave on the job 24 hours and thats my best source of leads, if you have several boards you can leave them outside friends houses every now and then

leafleting worked for me, I dropped a 1000 @£65 and got two leads , I capitalised on these and I was away with plenty of repeat and referal

builders are a good source of leads , I said I wouldnt go down that route again but have started doing it again

letters targeting people who are having work done, planning applications are in the paper

I found rated tradesmen, local paper etc a very poor return for the money

what ive learnt this last year is that you are the ambassador for your business and its dead money to pay others to promote you through their sites , publications etc, so if you have a quite day get out there with your leaflets and tramp the streets looking for leads. I push my card on everyone I meet. I start by asking about them and what they do for a living and then I tell them what I do and leave them a card

it works

if you believe in yourself and your services others will too, and if your prepared to go the extra mile to promote yourself others will meet you half way

I

Ian

I've tried all sorts, local paper, web advertising, comunity mags and so on and so on! The only place I advertise now is a local magazine that goes out to about 90 villages surrounding my town and its brilliant. The lady who runs it needed a kitchen splashback doing so I told her I'd do it in exchange for a double page editorial with pictures! Didn't think she'd go for it but she did! Full interview, and was able to sell myself very well. Work has poured in since this went out. Have one builder I get work from fairly regularly and word of mouth and repeat business is becoming a big part of filling the diary

D

dave l and l

i am a mix between good word of mouth and local contractors. got two dif plumbing companies that use me, a few self employed joiners and builders and a couple of kitchen and bathroom contractors keeps me busy most of the time but it can become a problem sometimes when jobs start to come in all at once. tried to advertise in local paper and got a couple of jobs then became to busy to do them. i think the good thing is the competition in the surrounding area is of a poor standard, some of the work i have looked at has been very poor. best way to pick up work is to know what you are doing . do a good job . and be friendly with other trades and customers

ailill

TF
Ireland
Very well said Mike!
I think the local newspapers are waste of money too. Tryed them few times, got not even an phone call.
The best is to leave your card with whoever you talk to and wherever you work. Also the boards outside the place you work sounds very good idea. I have to get some of those done myself :).

' if you believe in yourself and your services others will too, and if your prepared to go the extra mile to promote yourself others will meet you half way ' - brilliant!

F

fulabeer

I'm not strictly a tiler, but tiling is part of my (winter) work.
(I already have more winter work than i can manage, and it is all word of mouth)

Word of mouth is great, but we all have to start somewhere!
I wanted to try a new avenue, and wasn't sure where to start.
I was already doing exterior maintenance and cleaning for my own properties.
But with the property crash coming, i wanted another source of income.(and quick!)
I found pounding the streets pushing leaflets through the doors got me started.
What is did was make sure the leaflets didn't look "too" professional.
I know this may sound odd, but i didn't want people thinking i was an expensive company.
I also made my advert sound very personal. ie call Paul or Amanda...
I had plenty of business cards made up. I also asked friends to pin up some leaflets at their place of work.

I made sure my first quotes where super cheap, and the work first rate.
Whilst doing quotes, i made sure i applied no pressure to the customer what so ever.
I stressed to them that they were in charge, and it was up to them if the wanted me to do the work or not.
I found once i got one job, i soon had friends and family members.
Whilst on site, i made sure i was very polite and that nothing was too much trouble. (even if it was!)
On many of the first jobs, i hardly made a bean. But i viewed the longer term picture.
I was gaining experience, and a reputation.
I decided from day one that no corners would be cut even if it meant i lost money.
If i found unforeseen problems(not directly involved with what i was doing), i would either fix them for free or stop and ask the customer.
Of course i would make sure the customer was aware of any free fixes!

I firmly believe what goes around comes around.
There is enough cowboys out there just waiting to rip people off that, that my customers stick to me like glue.
I look after them, and they keep me booked up.
I have also found flexibility keeps the work flowing. I always watch other trades people work, and try and get tips.
I often get asked to do jobs way out of my range because they don't trust anybody else.
I know my limits, but sometimes it is fun to try new things!
I don't believe the variety of work from one day to the next.

As my experience grew, so did my confidence.
I was taking on ever bigger jobs, and more demanding customers.
I still don't advertise, but i have had the van recently sign written.
This was more to present a more professional image rather than gain more work.

You also have to remember that you are also an asset to your business.
Be friendly but not overly so (until you know them well), and respect their property.
So your attire is important, and also your van and equipment.
It doesn't have to be new, but nothing wrong with giving things a wipe now and then.
People do seem to be impressed by big and shiny tools. I think it gives then peace of mind that the job is being do correctly.
We know this ISN'T always the case, as a "fools with tools" and "all the gear, no idea" often applys..LOL...
Many new customers often mention "X said you are good and have all the right gear".
On that point, the right tools can actually save/make you money.
If you are quicker and/or do a better job, then you get more work and can do more work.

I did a few jobs for a letting firm and some builders.
They can be demanding (like wanting the work done yesterday), and you do have to chase for your money.
But each job, nearly always gives you a new customer/lead.
I now only do work for three development companies. They are at the very highest end of the market.
I get well paid by them before the property is sold, and handed over as the preferred contractor once it is sold..win win etc.

Biggest tip?
If a customer/quote doesn't "feel" right, walk away.
Your time is important, but some people don't understand this.
When you are starting up, it is hard to walk away from work.
But trust me when i say you won't earn much money from these people anyway.
You will just get grief and frustration.
NEVER discount once you have given a price. Your price should be the lowest you are prepared to work for any way.
It is rare, but if i am asked for a lower price, i always ask what part of the job they want me to leave out...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to how do you get work? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
hello all, I have posted on this site before but not for a while ( I promise to try harder!)...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
J
Morning all, a few tips would be appreciated here please - I am just completing a few jobs for...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
how do you get work?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.