UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How much trouble am I in in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Geoffishere

Hi all

I have just had my kitchen extension tiled an I am very worried after reading a number of threads regarding UFH.

I have recently had a 3x4m extension added to my kitchen. This part of the kitchen has had wet UFH installed. The scree is a concrete based scree and the UFh does not heat the perimeter 70cm of this due to the position of the units.

This concrete has been allowed to cure for three weeks and has then been tiled. It was primed- not sure what with and then a flexible adhesive has been used. It has been grouted. Due to the kitchen layout the tiled area is about 2.5mx2.5m and there is large untillwd areas around all sides except for 1.5m on one edge. The tiles used are 60x60x9.

The UFh has not been commissioned. The tiler did not ask about heating and I didnt think to tell him. I only started to get worried when he jumped when the fact that we had UFh came up in conversation. He said it was no issue and to give at least 2 weeks before commisioning and then increase the temp as slow as possible.

After reading other threads I am now very worried. Should I be and is there anything I can do to help

Thanks in advance

Geoff

in my honest opinion you have had the floor tiled to soon ,the concrete should have been left six to eight weeks to cure before tiling,i dont think you can blame the tiler realy here if hedid not know,maybe if it is a new build he should have known better,all you can do now is hope for the best.I would not even put your heating on for at least another couple of weeks yet ,and then only very gradually,hope every thing is ok for you or its a very expencive mistake

G

Geoffishere

No membrane was used. Is it a case of longer I leave it the better.

I am hoping because it is quite a small area I might get away with it. He has used a flexible adhesive but I don't know if this is enough to deal with any movement

What is the worst case scenario. Is it a case of the adhesive failing and tiles needing to be rebed

Other than leaving it as long as possible is there anything else i can do. Dehumidifier? Etc. is the issue with moisture in the concrete on the expansion and contraction of the concrete with heat

D

DHTiling

Hi Geoff and welcome..

Ok.. you now know what should of been done by you and your tiler , but it is past that now..

All you can do is very slowly and i mean very slowly heat the screed ... but do not do this for at least 28 days to allow the adhesive to reach it's full tensile strength.. you can really only hope that it does not de-bond or crack due to the screed curing over the next few weeks and the first initial heating of the screed that does bring stress to it..

Fingers crossed for you ..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How much trouble am I in in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.