UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How would licencing effect you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Theres already a type of licence for site work,but its not enforced,CSCS card.and I dont mean just the H&S part.Ive seen all types of trades(including sparks & gas fitters) at inductions show a bit of paper that says theyve passed the H&S test,its a 10 minute multiple choice, but dont have the card to say they have been assessed & can do their job correctly.Started out as a good idea but not enforced.

Would this work?
The builder/developer or homeowner should only get permission to build if the tradesmen were certified. The enforcement would come from the local government building authorities who will only grant permission to start the project if they use certified tradesmen.
During the build ,structure and waterproofing will be tested and assessed before (for instance) the Tiler can proceed.
The owner/builder wont pay the tradesmen unless they sight and record their license for a final sign off the job. Unless this happens you cant move in.
If you think you can get away with not even asking for permission for a reno project, for example, then it will be you in front of a judge explaining yourself, when the new owners find a problem or (like over here)you ask for a LIM report (which is a record of all work carried out legally and produced)and it shows up all the illegal and unregistered work you have done on the cheap a few years ago.
Regulated and enforced....the sooner the better!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think it'd be a really good thing and our industry needs it. There are waaaaaay too many 'handymen' and 'builders' doing tiling incorrectly and in the long-run it just costs the customer more, and prevent the good tilers from getting the work and charging the right prices.

I think not just the underfloor heating and wetrooms part of tiling work but all wall and floor tiling jobs over and above a certain square meterage should have to be carried out by a tiler with the right grades and signed off with a certificate. But then I also think the grades need to be easily given (and for free if tilers are paying an annual fee to be 'registered' anyway) to those who are time-served and have been doing it for decades. Perhaps a couple of on-site visits like the NVQ side of things can be.

But yes, I really do think it'd be a very very good idea.

A

Alan M

as a "handyman". id agree that all trades need to be regulated. there is some tiling done by amatures that is both great and horrable and the same for pros.

all trades are the same . iv seen some terable carpentry done .
iv seen outside doors pvc fitted with a stud frame and plasterboard and skim . outside:yikes:

the trouble with all this regulation is that it would stop us all doing other little bits on jobs. it would eventually get to a point where you cant do anything without a mountain of certs and paperwork.
im sure most people on here have done a bit of
plumbing (moving something out of the way)
electrical ( moving sockets etc)
building stud work
building boxs around pipes and baths etc
painted a wall etc for someone when you were there doing up there bathroom.

technically you should have cerrts do all those but everyone does little bits extra on jobs that arent in your job description

A

AMtek

i think its a great idea, would thin out the monkeys charging peanuts so prices would go up not down, it would be better for the customer as the chances they would need to pay twice would be minimised and fewer tilers in general would mean more work for the good tilers.

But on the other hand there are good tilers out there who are struggling as it is and having to get a ticket to tile would possibly push them into early retirement, change career etc.

On the whole though licensing gets a definate thumbs up from me!

F

FrankM

Thought I'd throw in how licensing works in AUS.

Licensing is currently run on a state level, with New South Wales and Queensland the only two states where licensing is required.

Under Queensland regulations, anyone carrying out building work of any kind valued higher than $3000 must be licensed through a government run department, the Building Services Authority.
The $3000 value includes labour and materials, so for a tiler, it also includes the value of the tiles. All builders must be licensed and are required to only engage subcontractors who also hold a license.
All license classes allow you to do "Incidental work of another class". So you can do small scale plastering, carpentry work without having to bring another guy in, except for plumbing and electrical work.

When and if things go wrong, the consumer registers a complaint with the Authority who is required to take action. If the work done is unsatisfactory or faulty and does not comply with Australian Standards or manufacturer's recommendations, the Authority will issue a "Direction to Rectify" to the head contractor. By that I mean, if a builder is involved and he has engaged a tiler, the direction goes to the builder as he has the overall contract with the client. He than has to sort it out with the tiler.

The direction is enforceable and failure to rectify result in prosecution, fines and demerit points. This system has been in place in Queensland since the late 1990's and starting this year, national licensing is being brought in, although no-one knows how it's going to work yet.

Now then.......

Is licensed contracting being enforced? Not really. They try, but it's almost impossible to track unlicensed "tradesman" down.
Has it improved the quality of workmanship? No
Has it reduced the number of cowboys? No, in fact, most of the have been handed a license.

I don't want to but a downer on the whole licensing thing because I thinks it's needed, but if regulation is in place, it needs to be done better.

Reply to How would licencing effect you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Some adhesives give info (not seemingly Mapei). I think the Mapei Standard Set Plus would suit...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.