UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How would you do it ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

I am very curious as to the training methods on some of these courses & how they equip new tilers to deal with certain situations.

Take this job for example..
I am in the process of quoting a kitchen & dining room floor in an old house. Approx 20 sq metres. Limestone tiles over UFH. Tiles are 22 mm thick.
Only problem is that the room slopes downwards and to either side away from the kitchen and down towards the front door and main radiator bleed valve.
As it is good practice to lay a coat of self levelling compound over the UFH mat, it looks very likely that after laying the mat ,a coat or 2 of self leveller ( which will be deep in the lowest area ) and also the 22mm tiles and adhesive, the customer may have to have her door seriously altered & also her radiator.
My question is - how would any of you newly trained tilers tell the customer how much her floor will need to rise at the lowest point & also tell her where the lowest points are ?

W

wivers

I have never been trained to deal with this nor have i ever had to face this problem thankfully, so as a NooB i would probably try and find the highest point of the floor and then try running a level line around the room from that highest point so i could visually see how much the floor was out ....... whay do i feel like a school boy putting his hand up to answer a question and waiting for the other students to laugh at the answer?!!!

S

sparky

how about putting a level line all the way round the room then measure from floor up to the line if there is a difference then thats how much the floor will be running out
icon5.gif

C

CON5933

If the customer isn't havin the walls tiled she/he mightn't thank you for drawing on them...
For a good 'visual' display you can get the nearest level high point on the floor nearest to the radiator and put a tile or 2 (depending on depth)on the floor, stack a few tiles at the low point near the rad and then using a straight edge and level from 1 tile stack to the other would give a vivid and clear picture of the drop.

Failing that.... throw a laser level along the base of the wall..:)

L

Leatherface

If the customer isn't havin the walls tiled she/he mightn't thank you for drawing on them...
For a good 'visual' display you can get the nearest level high point on the floor nearest to the radiator and put a tile or 2 (depending on depth)on the floor, stack a few tiles at the low point near the rad and then using a straight edge and level from 1 tile stack to the other would give a vivid and clear picture of the drop.

Failing that.... throw a laser level along the base of the wall..:)

That is the way I did it - she didn't want pencil marks all over her expensive wall paper - so laser level & staff.

Dan - it's obvious that by the time that the lowest point was levelled to meet highest, then heating mat, tiles ( 22 mm ) plus adhesive, they would have to take about 400mm off the door & alter the bottom frame & storm guard - The radiator & bleed valve at bottom end would be partially covered & all skirting boards would have to come off or disappear if left on. Also the stone fireplace hearth would disappear.

C

Concept PHT

Get a spirit level (y), centre the bubble at the estimated highest point of the room, measure with a rule the distance between the level and floor (x).

Then measure the length of the level. If your using a 1m level, then the floor runs out 1y=x.

In other words, if the floor ran for 3m and for every 1m there was a fall of 2mm, then the total fall would be 6mm. (3y=3x)

This is assuming that the floor ran off constantly with no dips in the middle.

Easier done than said ;)

L

Leatherface

Kapitan
Could do - but can't be arsed. If it won't self level over heating then really can't be bothered. Have done this before - it's an absolute pain trying to spread adhesive over the mat ( Properly ) so as not to leave any air pockets and also leave a good surface to tile onto. Also too much risk damaging the cable.

Concept ???
Sounds a strange way - not knocking it though, if it works for you then fine.
Find my way easier.
Regards N
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

thanks - but have asked already - didn't want one.

Also with regards to Kapitans suggestions - they are not suitable for this application.
The room slopes downwards and away to either side from the Kitchen - big time.
The tiles are 600 x 400 x 22mm thick sandstone - to be laid in brick pattern.
For anyone that knows - these kind of tiles in brick fashion require the floor to be more or less level - any lack of level would have to be made up in adhesive anyhow - nasty job on this floor. You cannot follow the floor at the risk of stepping.
Self levelling or screeding the floor would have been the only way. But as I said - too much height diff to make up.

Reply to How would you do it ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views
D
straight on to a pre-pared surface and grout, m2 labour only ? . so all you would have to do...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.