Discuss I broke a tile today. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
P1030022.jpg P1030017.jpg Two more casualties today! It took 3 of us to move the tiles into house. The first one broke whilst I was marking out where to make the cuts, then the other one broke whilst I was making my 2nd cut. I have searched the internet in search of pictures of techlam in a residential kitchen i.e. with cutouts for electric sockets, as the house i'm working in has several sockets some with only about 15mm gap between them. I'm using a Marcrist ck850 blade. Anyway, I'm out of there now.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Sean I was always told that when using fibre glass laminate tiles you need to have the fibre glass side always facing the floor to get full strength of the tile, turning it up the other way apparently it is weaker ,have you found this ?
Gary, I cut one tile in half whilst it was still in the crate outside on the building site. The cut worked, but the edge was really (I mean REALLY rough). So, I thought that if I turn the tile the other way round (good side towards the floor) it would be better. The first cut worked, but the second cut cracked the tile into what you see in the picture. I am still mad that I was sent on this job by myself, and given 2 days to tile 2 showers, 2 splashbacks, 1 side panel with 4 holes for taps, waste. The shower pieces were 2.4m x .75 with cutouts for hot and cold feeds. Ohh, I also had to tile 13sqm in 500x200 ceramics. The walk to the water supply was a muddy treck, the rain was constant, the dust in the house from the insulation was always in the atmosphere, but saying that it was still fun. I still believe this stuff is for commercial purposes. The architect wanted it because it was green (i.e. low manufacturing carbon print). He did not mind that we could not even get it up the stairs to the bathrooms. The plasters told me that had to cut all their boards in half to get them upstairs!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Something has been bugging me about this product. There was no fibreglass backing to these tiles. I've now found very similar products (Kerlite Pus and Slimtech). These products have fibreglass backing. Their youtube videos state that these tiles must be cut on a clean flat surface. Both videos show large tables in clean studios. I was working on a building site with no table! What a joke. The bloke that employed me to do the job is now asking who should pay for the 3 broken tiles. That's another joke. Time for a beer I think.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Another tiler and his mate were sent to fit the tiles today. He picked up the first tile from the box and it broke! He did manage to cut them with a dewalt hand held wet cutter. They also managed to get the tiles upstairs out the window and back in again. However, the last tile they cut for the shower smashed when they tried to stick it to the wall (2.4m x .80). They had to cut a hole for the hot & cold feeds, this made the very fragile tile even more fragile. Another trip is planned next week when the replacement tile arrives onsite.

Reply to I broke a tile today. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
I broke a tile today.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.