UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss i like butt jointing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

Sorry guys I have to disagree, I may not be a tiling god or even a full time tiller but these b&q tiles are pukka porcelain and they do them every now and again I saw them last in November in chocolate. I bought two pallets of these two years ago and I would put them up against any of the £80+ a meter Italian or porcelanosa ones I have bought since (for quality maybe not for design) they may not be as hard as the Chinese ones but all as straight as a die and floorless. May be you are talking about ceramic cheap ones.
the porcelain from band q is soluble salts porcelain ,it is a cheaper porcelain and is inferior in quailty to the italian produced porcelain which is predominately a clay /basalt and feltspar dust mix which uses virgin raw materials ,in laymans terms the italian tiles will be harder hold thear polish longer and have a longer wear than the soluble salt equivalent which i wouldnt use on a high traffic floor hope this helps

L

LM Ceramics

butt jointing tiles ive only seen is on new houses and that was to save time no floor tiles should be butt jointed as said in previous post one to allow for movement and 2 it looks awful for a start

i was on a job in blackburn i was doing the bathrooms and another tiler was tiling the kitchen as i didnt have time to complete the job he was brought in to help me by the customer who charged twice as much as me and tiled a kitchen and conservatory floor using galaxy granite on plywood butt jointed no expansion joints and the total area was 35 m2 i warned the customer but they werent having any of it and even said they preffered it butt jointed i told them of the dangers of failure

I was aiming for a touch of sarcasim in my post. I ahve two sets of levels. One for dabbing boards and using as a straigh edge, and a clean set for setting, marking and installing furniture, cabinets etc.
The straight edges i use in Spain are shop bought 100mm x 18mm and are a nice bit of kit, ime in the U.K. now and am using the aluminium ledgers of an old youngmans board which rotted away on my mates garage roof.

we always used straight edges more so when sand & cement fixing ,when tilers were tilers not just lid kickers tiling bathroom walls and splashbacks,most on here will never have use sand & cement and wouldnt know were to start
So true give some so called tilers a sand & cement floor they would not know how to start.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Originally Posted by Brian the Tile
we always used straight edges more so when sand & cement fixing ,when tilers were tilers not just lid kickers tiling bathroom walls and splashbacks,most on here will never have use sand & cement and wouldnt know were to start

So true give some so called tilers a sand & cement floor they would not know how to start.

so unless you've laid on sand and cement you're not a real tiler? Guess I'll get back to kicking lids then........

A

Aston

rendering in sand and cement takes a few months to get the hang of but floor screeding isnt that difficult.
i reckon any half decent tiler would be well on their way after a couple of weeks practice.

just buy a few bags of sharp sand, wet it down a bit so it stays in a ball in your hand then practice forming some dots to form screeds. then practice ruling off between the dots...thats the bit that takes a couple of weeks to get the hang of.

floor screeding is a bit over hyped and over feared imho..

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Ed I prefare screeding to tiling if I am honest, set your dots compact, set your screeds/runners compact, fill in your bay, I use a 3m box section as Jonnyc compact bay as you go. I rearly use a plastic/wood float, I use my wrists to work the screed through the rule. I use a bigben trowel or plastic float to spread/compact the screed, a couple of good labourers when laying 25ton of ready mix come in handy.

I have burnt my knees a few times, as you say it is just a technique that once mastered comes in handy time and time again. As long as you don't dig in your screeds/runners you will finish up with a perfectly flat floor. I hate following bad screeders, knowing I could do better myself.

A

Aston

Ed, we had interesting discussion about the techniques I.volved and I appreciate your knowledge! I am envious of the ways many of you old school tilers on here get your walls plumb! I tend to rely on making my walls flat with bedding out more adhesive or dry lining but I'd like to try using plumb dots.

well thats nice mate
but i am not an old school tiler, that title is for phil and the other lads on here but i can render and i can floor screed to within a 1mm of my life so i'll take that part of the compliment ;0)

and as i said before, anytime you want to come down to the north west, i'll show you how to do some. might get chance to visit carlsberg too??

ps carlsberg is phil hobsons new nickname....probably the best tiler in the world lol ;0)

C

charlie1

well thats nice mate
but i am not an old school tiler, that title is for phil and the other lads on here but i can render and i can floor screed to within a 1mm of my life so i'll take that part of the compliment ;0)

and as i said before, anytime you want to come down to the north west, i'll show you how to do some. might get chance to visit carlsberg too??

ps carlsberg is phil hobsons new nickname....probably the best tiler in the world lol ;0)

Ed, i soubt he would agree with you as he is too modest!! It would be great to meet up again and meet the legend!!

Ps, the dewalt is soooo sweet to use!

Reply to i like butt jointing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.