UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Insulation question - suspended woodern floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Apologies if this is in the wrong Forum section, its kind of a substrate question!

Im in the early days of planning a new kitchen with tiled floor and will have UFH over 18mm plywood and 10mm Marmox, with SLC then decent BAL adhesives. My question is regarding insulating between the floor joists before I board it over. The joists are 100mm deep. Ive read up on using garden netting or chicken meshing to staple/screw onto the underneath of the joists (theres space to crawl underneath) then fill the cavity with insulation.

Should I use 50mm Celotex/similar make or normal loft glassfibre insulation? I cant work out the U factors. I can get a 8x4 sheet of Celotex for £10 or wait for a buy 1 get 3 free loft insulation deal. Opinions welcome:hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

Apologies if this is in the wrong Forum section, its kind of a substrate question!

Im in the early days of planning a new kitchen with tiled floor and will have UFH over 18mm plywood and 10mm Marmox, with SLC then decent BAL adhesives. My question is regarding insulating between the floor joists before I board it over. The joists are 100mm deep. Ive read up on using garden netting or chicken meshing to staple/screw onto the underneath of the joists (theres space to crawl underneath) then fill the cavity with insulation.

Should I use 50mm Celotex/similar make or normal loft glassfibre insulation? I cant work out the U factors. I can get a 8x4 sheet of Celotex for £10 or wait for a buy 1 get 3 free loft insulation deal. Opinions welcome:hurray:

100 mm joists don't sound strong enough, is there any deflection in
The floor? If you use insulation boards on top of the ply you song need to insulate underneath as well
tapatalk on my HTC

O

ollymonkeynuts

I was just thinking general insulation is a good thing, not just to increase the efficiency of the UFH I realise the Marmox will do that.

The joists are supported frequently on brickwork (every 1.2 metres) so once the plywood goes down im confident theyll not be deflection. Im creating a kitchen/diner, the kitchen is about 2.4m wide which will extend to about 4m.

Its an old 1930's house, nothing ive discovered so far makes much sense. Ive just dropped a chimney so im just extending the floor joists and have the opportunity to do the extra joist insulation.

M

Mike

I was just thinking general insulation is a good thing, not just to increase the efficiency of the UFH I realise the Marmox will do that.

The joists are supported frequently on brickwork (every 1.2 metres) so once the plywood goes down im confident theyll not be deflection. Im creating a kitchen/diner, the kitchen is about 2.4m wide which will extend to about 4m.

Its an old 1930's house, nothing ive discovered so far makes much sense. Ive just dropped a chimney so im just extending the floor joists and have the opportunity to do the extra joist insulation.
i would use rockwool then, i don't like the idea of kingspan (or similar) inbetween the joists as they wont be draught proof so would not be as efficient

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
As long as it is cut to size properly and tightly butted cellotex would be far better than rock wool. Instead of netting though batten the side of the joist to support the cellotex and before you bord overlay the whole thing with polythene membrane to draught proof. As you have a crawl space you have an air gap so I would go for 35mm tile batten then 65mm cellotex.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
A polythene membrane will only lead to condensation issues if it is placed on the "cold" side of the system. if it is between the insulation and and screed/heating it will be maintained at the same temperature as the screed. Or to put it more succinctly and in direct answer to your question.......no. :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
To answer your second question....yes. You want to avoid a large air gap between your insulation and your over boarding as this will provide a space for heat to radiate downwards into thus reducing the overall efficiency of your underfloor heating system.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Insulation question - suspended woodern floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Hello, am trying to complete a Victorian tiled hallway (pic attached), loads of questions to...
Replies
Views
Hi We've knocked through our kitchen and dining room and taken up old stone/porcelain tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I urgently need some advice and not sure where to turn. We are having some major...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R
R
Hi, We have been in our house a few years but noticed as soon as we moved in that the tiles...
Replies
Views
Rosewood
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Insulation question - suspended woodern floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.