Discuss Insulation Resistance problem with elektra underfloorheating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

What equipment are you using to test the mats......... some of the larger mega testers sometimes have problems reading the ohms of the mat, try using a smaller tester. The reading should be similar to the one stated for that size of mat + or - 10 ohms, they're never exact. If you are still getting a a 0 ohms reading then the mat may be faulty. The tester i use cost me a fiver and i have never had any probs with it. I also use a continuity alarm whilst installing, to make sure I know right away if i damage the mat.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thanks for the help.
My brotherinlaw is a qualified electrician and he has tested it with a very good tester and he suggests its faulty.
So I thick my best option is to unfortunatly wait until Monday to speak to elektras technical department.

That might be the issue though, seems funny both mats are faulty. Large mega testers often can't read the small amount of ohms that well. A cheaper smaller tester with not such a high capability can often be what's needed.

If you've been posted out two brand new heating mats and BOTH are faulty, I'll eat my hat.

Please do report back tomorrow. :thumbsup:

S

Stewart

That might be the issue though, seems funny both mats are faulty. Large mega testers often can't read the small amount of ohms that well. A cheaper smaller tester with not such a high capability can often be what's needed.

If you've been posted out two brand new heating mats and BOTH are faulty, I'll eat my hat.

Please do report back tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Do you have a picture of the hat by any chance............... just in case.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thank god I don't have to eat my hat! It's freezing outside and I've shaved my hair too short as the clipper head fell off!

The hat was one like this one:

Snow-Hat-SH021-.jpg

I'd give your sparky mate a slap too! (only kidding).

D

DHTiling

Insulation resistance should not be done between live & neutral, you will get a reading of zero because the resistance of the heating cable is low.

Insulation resistance is checked between live+neutral & earth.

Trust this helps.

Is this just on your heat mats..?

All the ones i have installed, i use my multi meter and check continuity between live and neutral and do an Ohms reading this way as well and i always get the same reading that is on the tag or in the booklet.. never a 0 reading..

Reply to Insulation Resistance problem with elektra underfloorheating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
G
hey guys In 2 minds wether to put underfloor heating in my kitchen. I've currently got a...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Electric Underfloor Heating forum becomes Underfloor Heating Forum covering both Electric and...
Replies
Views
http://www.*************************.com/water-underfloor-heating-152-w.asp Supplying Water...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a floor to tile and install electric underfloor heating. I have done quite a few...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Insulation Resistance problem with elektra underfloorheating
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.