Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Interesting Story WRT Topps in Plymouth in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I thought I'd share this here as it's away from the general forum.

A few weeks ago before I started my last job I went into Topps in Plyouth and bought the following:

2x BAL grip
2x BAL greenstar
2x BAL Microflex Grout bags

Now I got charged £23.99 for the BAL grip, which I thought was a bit expensive, after telling the manager that I was in the trade. After the purchase he organised my trade account application.

I received my trade card.

As I needed some more Grip I went and got some more, only this time I was charged £15.99 ???

When I phoned and compared prices I was told by one of the assistants that the first price was a mistake as I had been charged retail, whereas I should have been charged trade.

The same chap phone me back to tell me that if I came and saw them then they would make the appropriate refund, he had spoken to the manager who had served me the first time and cleared it with him.

So, in a subsequent conversation with the customer I told him that he was due a small refund, as I had offered to charge him the mats at cost as the labour cost had gone up, for various reasons.

Then came the bombshell. I went to see the manager when I went in there to get some other stuff and fuly expected to be refunded.

Apparently not. I was charged retail, then they put me on the system as trade on the same visit, then I was charged trade when I came in again. His end of the communication with the assistant was apparently in complete contrast to mine! The manager stated that he would NOT refund me the difference, and that was that.

Well I was not pleased. I asserted to him that I had undertaken to give the customer a rebate on the basis on a phone conversation with his assistant and that this was not the way fo Topps to do business.

He buckled and worked out the price difference on the Grip and the grout (he had already discounted the greenstar to trade on that day). This came to around £26, so he offered me 2 tubs of BAL Grip FOC in lieu.

He was obviously embarressed. But I wonder what he was trying to achieve with his initial refusal. He made an excuse that changing invoices was not desireable, but why couldn't he just make the offer to give me the goods to the value of the difference straight away without me having to argue?

I have never had this with any other outlet.

C

cornish_crofter

You could be right, but why did the manager argue the toss until I stood up to him, rather than immediately say "I can't adjust the original invoice but you gan have goods to the value of the difference."?

At the time I thought it was either a massive breakdown in communication between the manager and myself, via his assistant, or someone was trying to wriggle out of a promise. I'm still not convinced.

Anyway, as per Dave's and Dan's suggestion, I'm off to see how CTD can help me. If they can then my spen at Topps is likely to tail off by 100% or more:lol:

Reply to Interesting Story WRT Topps in Plymouth in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Topps Tiles in-store or online - Genuine Feedback, Positive or Otherwise. I used to work in a...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Interesting Story WRT Topps in Plymouth
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond