Discuss is the art of cutting with the grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

This was a challenge, when done there was no noticeable distinction between each tile, had to be good though as there was no transition to hide the cut. I love using my angle grinder, other than my sigma it's my primary cutting tool

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 171

gamma38

TF
Bedford
This was a challenge, when done there was no noticeable distinction between each tile, had to be good though as there was no transition to hide the cut. I love using my angle grinder, other than my sigma it's my primary cutting tool
Nice looking job there charlie

C

charlie1

Interested to know your technique using an angle grinder.
I suppose hazarding a guess I'd lay tile on piece of wood and use another tile or something suitable as a straight edge and run blade along that. Would you just cut the glaze then snap tile like with a manual cutter?

For give my ignorance, I'm here to learn ;)

depends which cut you want to make, i.e: straight, curved, L. And what type of tile

for ceramic / Porc and straight cut then just manual cutter, same tile and L then dry score both lines, then diagonal cut to point of the L then back to your manual cut for snap. Same tile and curved cut then there are a few different methods depending on severity of curve, NEVER try to cut a curve in a tile with angle grinder if you feel your forcing or bending the blade, a series of light passes is what you need until all the way through however some curves need to sectioned in to smaller cuts by making a series of cuts at 90 degrees in to meet the line of your cut ( hope you follow) in any case, it's going to require a lot of practice, skill and a few scary moments to become good with the grinder... Just be carefully and wear safety gasses and don't remove guard. Very aggressive machines!!

Reply to is the art of cutting with the grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
This may seem and odd question...but when I did a tiling training course, we were taught when...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
S
Hi, We have tried cutting some porcelain wall tiles many times to get a hole cut for pipes and...
Replies
Views
H
Hi I have previously tiled with ceramic tiles but this is my first foray into the world of...
Replies
Views
SJPurdy
S
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB