UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Knock Knock... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Last week I took a break, first time in 3 years, and had to come back on early on Tuesday, because some piece of work, known in the trade as a 'surveyor' had knocked (more like slashed) our application for payment. This is 14 months into the job and now the light at the end of the tunnel was in sight. I am more than used to these tactics of being knocked at the end of a contract but this one was an outrage even by my standards, even resorting to knocking and deducting payments made in November of last year. So today armed with my trusty contacts guys I went into battle, at mid-day..more like high noon. Five and half hours later I emerged, battle weary, it was a vile meeting, the main contractor says they have lost money on the job...but that's not my problem. This one is going to run and run, I won't back down, the estimate was done, the prices were agreed, the contract was issued.

I have a question for all of you, because I was told my rate for supply and installation of Ditra was 'not market rate'.

How much would you charge for supply and installation of Ditra matting? (total 180m2), and no short cuts on the sticky.

Let me know and then I will tell you what this main contractor is stating is 'MARKET RATE'.

Lynn

T

Time's Ran Out

Although we don't have your overheads, I'd expect you to be in the region of £16-00/sq mt.
Based on Roll at £160/30sq mts (say £7/sq mt), 10sq mts per25kg fast set flexible adhesive @ £15/bag (say £2/sq mt), and Labour £5/sq mt. To include a mark up for overheads of £2/sq mt = total £16-00/sq mt.
So for 180 sq mts not including preparation,priming or travel costs ...£2880.00

Now you can shoot me down.

Hope you enjoyed some of the holiday.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Here you go according to the main contractor the 'MARKET RATE' is £8.00m2 supply and fix! and using Ardex AF20 and he wants to take the 2.5% discount of that rate.

I jumped out of my chair, when he said he would show me the invoice he had of another job for their ditra.

Just got to carry on fighting the cause.

Lynn
once you are paid for work that should be a legal accepence of price .what small print are they trying to get you on? .dont forgett to invoice the time you spent in the meeting asp.as this as now become an exstra and the cost of your solisitor for sending it and exspalening your case .when contractor try this go straight for the throat and take no prisoner .its the only way

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Surely if they had an issue with your initial quote then they should have picked up on that to A) find somebody else at "market rate" or B) to accept it and PAY IT when completed.

Does my bonce in. Late payments screw up the whole chain of suppliers. And I bet you one thing, they've not lost on that job at all. Whatever you charge they'll charge more for to the end user else they're not liquid and wouldn't trade.

P

Pebbs

I think I have had enough of this b------t from clients, Ive been stewing over it since Friday, some wise tiler said to me a few years back that on some contracts you may as well hand these main contractors a bag of money, and walk away from some jobs because that's what the surveyor will want at the end of the job. He was right, I like to believe I'm a reasonable human being, and treat everyone with respect. Reasonable these days means someone will try and take the ----, out of you if you let them. I spent most of the day going through a long project file, checking dates, emails, verbal instructions, extras, npo's, and all the crap that you deal with. Ive had enough Im going for adjudication, if we lose it will still be less than what these deductions amount to. Thanks for all the advice, the ditra matting was one part of the knocking they want to take, there's a whole load more on top they want...like all the tanking they want for free, the list is endless.

Lynn

Reply to Knock Knock... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
M
This is a steam room I finished last week and was good fun, small but a tad complicated. The...
Replies
Views
Aston
A
M
i started out tiling displays for showrooms but I was on the books so I don't know what to...
Replies
Views
mattle40
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.