UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Lash clips etc Again ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Morning Mike :)

The bathroom is about 7.5m2 i'd say

I was going to use 2mm on walls. To be honest I was going to use the same on the floor, but I have been thinking that 2mm will be a bit small. Then I thought that grout width should match the walls and floor if using similar tiles (as I am) wall tiles are oblong, floors are square.. same colour pattern, just non slip for the floor.

ie would 2mm grout lines on walls and say 4mm on floor look a bit odd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

To throw in my two pennies' worth....... the LASH system is the system I used recently. I found that the wedges were easy to push/ wiggle to required depth. The LASH system does make a true 2mm gap, and again, I had to use additional spacers to gain correct grout joint width spacing. To be honest, the floor I laid was 600x600 porcelain and the client insisted on 2mm spacing despite my efforts to convince otherwise. I still used 2mm spacers anyway as the clips did have a tendency to wander slightly when adjusting the wedge.

I found that it did save me time (only slightly though) and took the worry out of lippage or slumping at all.

I did find that even the tightest of fitting clips in the 2mm grout joint was easy to remove with no worries at all the following day. I did surprise myself just how many clips I used for a 20sq/m floor, even with the large format tiles! The bonus is that the left over "stub" of the 2mm clip can be saved and used as a long 2mm spacer which I will probably recycle for when fitting marmox boards......bonus!!!!

I will be using this system in the future for large format tiles. I found it easy to factor the cost into the quote. The initial outlay for any system seems to be the wedges (in the case of Raimondi- the pliers). As for the LASH system.......I found that adjusting by hand was just fine. I would use the side of my thumb/ palm to "feel" the level between adjoining tiles whilst tightening the wedge. I would imagine that using the Raimondi system (using yet another seperate tool- the pliers) could prove a bit fiddley, but as for anything I wouldnt know until I tried it.

All I can say is....... dont knock it until youve tried it! (you may be pleasantly surprised!!!)

G

Gazzer

I was going to use 2mm on walls. To be honest I was going to use the same on the floor, but I have been thinking that 2mm will be a bit small. Then I thought that grout width should match the walls and floor if using similar tiles (as I am) wall tiles are oblong, floors are square.. same colour pattern, just non slip for the floor.

This is drifting off topic !

Q

Qwerty

BS says 2mm not for floors, but as my previous post (and others in the past), it can be done. It may look odd indeed using 4mm spacers, but do what is right for you. As Dave said a couple of years ago........ BS5385 is a standard ( guideline) and not a regulation..

See this thread - http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/22419-tile-spacer-law.html

G

Gazzer

For those reading this thread. The system has various choices such as
[video=youtube;5WI7ZqxIXJs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WI7ZqxIXJs&playnext=1&list=PL8C20E2EB57A7D2A2[/video]
[video=youtube;B_tB_XOIGRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tB_XOIGRI[/video]
[video=youtube;FU2rMWcFvSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU2rMWcFvSM[/video]
[video=youtube;J6ogA1Adkuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ogA1Adkuc[/video]

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Thanks for that Neale, interesting to note they all make a point of stating the floor must be leveled prior to tile installation. I do spend the most time preparing floors, with slc and my own ( quirky) some might say methods. I can prep the worst floor, given the time and effort required is reflected in the price.

The prep work for me is paramount, I can guarantee if I am allowed to prep the floor using my methods, you could play pool on them. Again it all comes down to cost, if the customer will pay the price, then I can give them a super flat surface to tile on.

If you do have a flat floor, after prep, then I would think using the correct solid bed trowel, it is not hard to get a lip free floor.

I am not knocking these systems after all they are all a variation on a theme. But I think if you get the prep right, the tiling is a lot easier. Just my opinion, and I am still looking forward to everyone's input.:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

So I had a chance to use the Lash clips today. Last week I started a 55m2 floor and I was laying the 600x600 porcelain tiles in the time honoured method with my trusty white rubber hammer. I had no issues at all doing it this way but as I have already stated, Curiosity got the better of me and I gave the lash clip system a go.
I had a small area to tile off the main floor area so this is where I tried it. I have to say I was much quicker the old way. The clips caused too much mess and pushing the wedges in made my fingers hurt after a few minutes.
At least I tried and I will probably try again at some point but not in the near future.
So my honest verdict is :thumbsdown:

Reply to Lash clips etc Again ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
I
    • Informative
I'm going back to talking about self-leveling clips. (systems with wedge, the other me, I do not...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
I know from reading old posts on here this can be a sensitive subject - but I have some...
Replies
Views
Bespoke Tiling
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.