UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 'Let of steam' is the phrase of the forum...Try and understand this 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ok so Im making the big move, from my mothers house to live with my gf. Im 28 and still a kid at heart although I do stand up to the usual tasks of life including running my own business and picking up the dirty socks on my bedroom floor.

Anywho, I moving from Northumberland down to Essex.

I know that establishing my business is going to be an absolute shyza so I thought I would apply for a senior sales position at Topps Tiles. The wage is ****, the people I will work with will think Im a know it all but I could cope with that for some regular pound coins in my bank balance every week.

I wrote a very good application to them, and it had to be in my today being the 2nd of July. I have just come home to find out that my application will 'not be taken through to the next stage'.

Now someone please give me some sanity back here and ask me why the hell would Topps not want a perfectionist of a tiler, with a terrabyte (ok maybe not that much) of information and knowledge about tiling on their team who also has a proven background in sales without even checking out my references.

I am absolutely bamboozled. I feel like ringing them up tomorrow and asking for some answers upon their reason to not give me at least an interview.

Now for my next problem. How the hell do I establish my business successfully in Essex, the big smoke, where there are so many people, tradesmen and foreigners all against me.

Cheers lads. I'll leave this one as an overnighter as I'm so frustrated (but not that gutted) why they wouldnt want me.

gnyt:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Re: 'Let of steam' is the phrase of the forum...Try and understand thi

Because they fear you would leave too soon as you are too skilled. And they might see through the lines and assume you're doing it to setup ties down there and only to establish your own business.

You run a business. You're not an employee.

I swear to god I could never be employed again and if I did it'd have to be at Tesco's where I wouldn't need to even think during the job else I'd just try to run the business myself lol

Some are employees and some are employers and the two don't switch from one to the other more than ones normally.

If you ever apply again for a store, just tell them you've come from college and want a steady job and only have references from your landlord and your mum. lol - I bet you'd get the job.

I pretty much knew this was the answer Dan, I also could never be employed again although for my GF I was prepared to do it.

Looks like its the hard way for me.

Now tell me Dan, how can I crack London, Essex etc and get some work for myself. What is the point in leaflet drops ? Everywhere seems to be rented these days. Waste of cards. Ive already rang a few bathroom companies and tile shops but nothing has come of it.

Any ideas ?

I had the exact same response when I applied for a sales consultant for a tile shop over here.
The main reason is that they want salespeople not Tilers. If you had experience in sales it wouldn't be a problem.
I agree it's a bit lame and its their loss but in my situation I ended up getting the same position with the largest tile company in NZ simply because I knew everyone at my local and the HR manager. So if you pursue this, it may have to be who you know and not what you know. It's a bit stink but that's how the world goes round sometimes.

Sent from Bobs iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

I pretty much knew this was the answer Dan, I also could never be employed again although for my GF I was prepared to do it.

Looks like its the hard way for me.

Now tell me Dan, how can I crack London, Essex etc and get some work for myself. What is the point in leaflet drops ? Everywhere seems to be rented these days. Waste of cards. Ive already rang a few bathroom companies and tile shops but nothing has come of it.

Any ideas ?

First off, although perhaps too soon, do this job and get in with whoever supplied this and or their tiler - http://www.tilersforums.com/im-look...omeone-install-warmup-underfloor-heating.html

Perhaps then go down the normal route, website that ranks, business cards, go suck up to the tile shops and buy them butties, get all the free listings you can get in the area, call a couple of tilers and see what the going rate is if you manage to get it off them over the phone etc etc

You will need to go see them not just call them.

I've even seen tilers take family in for quotes and setup trade accounts while you're there - and act as if you've sent those customers (family but don't tell them that) you have as you want to trade with them and get some business back in return for sending them some. If you move into your property and some tiling needs doing, even as small as a step or fireplace, take your Mrs in there to pretend she's a customer of yours, and get her pick the tiles, you let her go, then get the stuff at trade, and start a chat with them, get them do your a brew as you've had a hard day grafting and he can see that from your dirty tiling work clothes, and suck up some more.

If you have a portfolio take it in and show it them. Leave a copy with them. Do a bit more than your average tiler does when they just leave cards there and sod off.

It's dog eat dog and essex lads don't screw around mate.

It's tough mate no matter where you go these days but you need to get used to it as the banks don't print money for poorpers anymore so you don't see conservatory companies doing every other house in the street like you used to which used to really help the trade. But like with anything if you keep at it, it'll pay off.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london

Quote :-

Now for my next problem. How the hell do I establish my business successfully in Essex, the big smoke, where there are so many people, tradesmen and foreigners all against me.
yeh yeh exactly, can't they??? :80:

:45: nobody is against you, if only your self :thumbsup:

Excuse my slight racist remark there, yes they can be tradesmen however I should have included the 'below average prices' they are operating at.

The part of Essex she is currently is is Woodford Green...on the central line.

I rang up Topps Tiles and managed to get an interview with a manager in the Uxbridge store. The girl from HR told him all about my application and she also wondered why it was a clear no, however the excuse they finally came ,was that they were not sure where I was in the country and where I was moving too, however I asked her to read mu application out, which she did, and then she said it was something to do with thinking it was an agency I was applying from.

Anywho, I have to go and see him next week for an interview. To be honest it was quite weird as over the course of the telephone call he found it acceptable to start swearing down the phone. I took it as a good point though.

Thank you for the advice there Dan, I have started on the local tilers over the phone. First phone call I got a stone job under a large firm. Im assuming hourly rate, no cuts of the 300 metres of limestone! Then the rest of it after that, another 700 metres. Stroke of luck eh !
Second call I got a guy who has also moved to the area only 6 months ago who has been busy up til now however it has went quiet again, but we said we will go for a beer and thrash a plan out for work.

I will be trying Olympus tiles again as I popped in a while ago and had a chat. This time armed with sarnies !!!!

Thanks again any more help appreciated.

P

paul flight

cam you know that anyone who comes from north of watford is a alien to us southern folk .they would never been able to understand you and would keep saying " can you repeat that " all day long . get some adds in the papers and get round the tile shops with your cv / pictures of work your soon be up to your elbows in adhesive .. good luck to you and your gf

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 'Let of steam' is the phrase of the forum...Try and understand this 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If...
Replies
Views
S
T
Not a question, but a suprising observation of an illusion! My next task has been to come up...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
G
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any silly questions, I've taken on rather a big...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.