Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics] in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kasheen

TF
Hello folks,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with levelling a wall that I'm about to tile.

I've completed the first wall which was fine, nice and level for the most part (or nothing that building up a small bit of adhesive wouldn't solve). However when I placed my wooden batten across my second wall I noticed that it bows into the middle.

It appears that most of the problem is from the very sides (left and right) of the wall where it slopes up quite sharply, while the middle might be a bit more flat with the odd lump or bump.

Here is the wall:
fullwall.jpg

With the batten placed across the entire wall it is raised off of the wall:
battengap.jpg

With my spirit level placed in the middle of the wall the gap is much reduced so I think the sides are causing the batten to raise (1cm would be an extreme max for the gap, I think it's around 0.5):
levelgap.jpg

A single tile produces hardly any gap:
singletilegap.jpg

So I'm not sure how I should go about solving this? Is it actually an issue, i.e. should I just be raising and lowering the tiles with adhesive so they match up but still have the wall overall bowed?

Or should I attempt to plaster the wall to level it off (my plan was to flatten the plaster up using my batten to make it level, it's behind tiles so I imagine it doesn't have to be too neat). Could someone help me with the method for doing this? (I'm plastering ONTO finishing plaster (urg) so how would I key it, what plaster should I use to build up the 2cm gap in the middle etc). I don't think I could use plasterboard because it would make the tiles jut out from the wall quite alot. Obviously I'm mostly concerned about the weight of the tiles pulling the new layer of plaster off of the wall.

Much appreciated for any advice, thanks will be added (and possibly pics of progress ;)).

Kasheen

TF
Thanks so far guys!

Ok so options seem to be skimming with adhesive (I'm currently using a 2 in 1 grout and adhesive tub by Unibond, I've been reading these forums and I'm guessing that this prolly isn't suitable to skim a wall and I'd need to buy some kind of bagged product) or skimming just a bit with rapidset plaster and then working the rest out with my tiles and adhesive as I go.

Is there any way that I should prepare the current finishing plaster for the extra skim? Should I sand it, or scratch lines into it with a stanley knife to make a key? Perhaps if I'm taking the plaster route then using PVA to seal the wall? (I know this is a hot topic for tiling, I've personally not used it with my tiling adhesive).

S

Scott

use pads of plasterboard cut say 4ins square dab them on with tile addy top and bottom say 14ins apart se a lond level too plum it up let the pads set then pva the wall then lay on some bonding rule off livel with the pads trowel it in let it pall in then devil float dry then tile sorted same as F&S gatting the wall plum :smilewinkgrin:

As previously mentioned bonding is not suitable to tile on

Read page 4 of the data sheet
broken link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics] in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics]
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.