Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics] in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kasheen

TF
Wow!

Can't believe the amount of replies. Ok so it seems most are suggesting just to build up a skim layer of tile adhesive. I see that alot of people rate BAL products, can anyone suggest one of their bagged products that is easy to use and has decent mileage (covering 1.5msq with addy is more expensive than using plaster). Russ has suggested rapidset, will this go off too quickly for a beginner taking their time?

Also is there anywhere that sells BAL on the cheap, Topps seem to want £26.99 (not bad considering the unibond cost the same) for grey and £36 for white (can I go with grey even though I'm going to use white grout?). The flexible stuff costs even more at £45.99 (do I need this, the wall is going to be around a rolltop bath, shouldn't be too wet since it's not a built in bath).

So any help on which adhesive would be great, then hopefully I'm onwards to success ;)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Use rapid set and mix it quite thick, if you're anything like me I get impatient and try to put too much on and it can slump.
Try to source the cheapest rapid set (usually grey) when skimming walls or it could cost you a small fortune. BAL is good but BAL is dear.

Kasheen

TF
Use rapid set and mix it quite thick, if you're anything like me I get impatient and try to put too much on and it can slump.
Try to source the cheapest rapid set (usually grey) when skimming walls or it could cost you a small fortune. BAL is good but BAL is dear.

Can I also use the grey to apply the tiles, should I buy the biggest bag possible? I've also got a further 3msq of tiling to go after this small 1.5msq section of wall, so I think I may have to buy a big bag and a smaller bag but I'll just buy as I go I guess.

Kasheen

TF
You can use grey but you will have to work very clean, particularly with the grout joints.

Yeah it was the grout joints that I'm worried about. With the white unibond stuff I'm using any of it that is coming out I'm not so bothered because I know the grout is going to be white so it'll definitely just merge in.

I may buy a small bag of grey to skim and a big bag of white to finish the rest of the walls in that case.

B

Bolter

Yeah it was the grout joints that I'm worried about. With the white unibond stuff I'm using any of it that is coming out I'm not so bothered because I know the grout is going to be white so it'll definitely just merge in.

I may buy a small bag of grey to skim and a big bag of white to finish the rest of the walls in that case.

The Unibond can merge with the bin!

Also dont try to "pack out" with ready mixed stuff. In fact, if you are "packing out", your wall/floor is not flat enough.

C

cuttintiles

Dont use timber as a guide, use a straight edge or level!!!

i must admit i am surprised that as your dip is 10mm or less no one has suggested that you use a floor trowel (20x10mm round notch) and serrate the wall and the tile,
if you do this once your first course is on the wall you can use a long level and push the tiles flat!

therefore no need to "plaster" the wall with adhesive!

both ways will work but, as your dip is 10mm and less, i would use a good quality flexi and follow my tip!

C

Ceramico tiling

I suppose a feather edge would be ideal although a straight timber is better than getting adhesive all over my level.When I find there is a gap(filled with adhesive)btw tiles and wall(around 10mm) they all move differently as the adhesive dries which leaves you with lippage that drives me mad personally:mad2:.So i find it better to maintain a minimal consistent gap by plastering the dips first and allowing them to dry.

B

Bolter

Well kerraquick maxi is one I will definatelly pay more attention to because that would be cool.But I am certain the more the gap of adhesive behind the tiles the more they move by themselves as they dry with most other adhesives anyway.And i doubt this guy is using kerraquick maxi!.I would be interested in some other opinions on adhesive shrinkage?.,

if using tubbed ready mix stuff yes there is shrinkage. But you should NOT be packing out with that.

I dont know any powdered adhesives that shrink badly.

S

Scott

Dont use timber as a guide, use a straight edge or level!!!

i must admit i am surprised that as your dip is 10mm or less no one has suggested that you use a floor trowel (20x10mm round notch) and serrate the wall and the tile,
if you do this once your first course is on the wall you can use a long level and push the tiles flat!

therefore no need to "plaster" the wall with adhesive!

both ways will work but, as your dip is 10mm and less, i would use a good quality flexi and follow my tip!

A deeper notch trowel was suggested in the first reply

Reply to Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics] in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Levelling a wall - any help please! [pics]
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.