Discuss Looking to employ a tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cr0ft

Hi all. I have tried to research this on Job Centre website but all the vacancies I can find near me have no salary/hourly rate on them. Not sure what the point is in an advert like that but hey..

I am looking to find someone who is a tiler and who can also do basic joinery in bathrooms/plasterboarding etc. But their main trade will be a tiler.

I am looking to employ someone full-time due to fairly rapid growth of our business last year and this year so far.

I have no idea what the going rate would be for a tiler in the East Midlands. I was thinking around £10 per hour for a full-time employed position?

Anyone else (particularly employers on this forum) care to share what they pay or think I should be paying? Cheers,

Keiran.

C

cr0ft

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to subcontract someone in that runs their own business, I am looking to employ someone full time.

- - - Updated - - -

I run my own business but I subby to a company also,
Bespoke homes.
I don't have a lot of overheads so could work for £10ph but I won't as I'm worth more than that..

I agree totally. No one running their own business should be charging out @ £10 ph but someone who is employed has no overheads at all other than fuel to get to work.

I'm on about what wage is a fair wage to pay a tiler who is employed.

C

cr0ft

Thanks Bri. I think £12.50/hour would be managable but any more than that and I am struggling to justify employing someone to be honest, especially when the employer needs to add on 30% on costs. That works out at £130 a day employment cost to me really. If I am charging out at £200 a day plus VAT that employee is actually earning the business money which is what they need to do of course. I think if the wage + costs goes much over £130 it quickly becomes an unattractive option as the employee won't be bringing in enough profit to make finding 48 or so weeks a year of work for them worth it.

C

cr0ft

HI Andy. To be honest I need to get someone on the books on a more permanent basis as I need to start moving off the tools and (no offence to anyone who subcontracts) my experience with subcontractors has never really been that great. It's much easier for a subcontractor to let you down than an employee in my experience.

We are doing bathroom installations back to back if I am being honest and the boxing/tiling/plasterboarding takes up around 50% of the work. If I took someone on to do this we would get twice as many fitted in.

At the moment we are booked 3 months ahead and have 6 bathroom installation quotes in hand. Not had a day off since last March and we are turning work away every day.

I have a plumbing apprentice already who is a bit slow but has the right attitude so is a good long term investment imo. I have tried him at some basic tiling and he doesn't show any potential to be a good tiler imo, doesn't have a good enough eye for detail regarding tiling.

The problem with subbing people in is the good subbies are busy and don't have the flexibility to move jobs about if there are delays in our projects. We also need to book them in weeks ahead which isn't always possible when we have back to back projects.

S

Stef

Sorry, put a different take on it.
You are putting out good work as a tiler, what would you work for?
I know what you mean about employing someone with company van etc getting thrown in but I don't honestly think you are going to get a quality tiler for £10ph.
What happens if that Tilers standard of work is on the "ah it's ok, it will do".
That won't be long having a detrimental effect on your business.
Word of mouth spreads fast & as they say your only as good as your last job.

A

aphilp

I would suggest that you advertise your work on a subcontract basis on the Forum and I am sure that a local experienced tiler would be interested in doing your tiling work.

We regularly work for property developers, bathroom companies, plumbers and builders as and when needed.

If you couch your vacancy in such a way to attract either subcontract or permanent labour to discuss a square metre rate or day rate in Lincoln. I am sure that discussions with local companies will give you a satisfactory outcome

Best Wishes

Anne

P

Peter

Depends on whether you want them on the books or just to sub to you. I pay £90 a day for a great tiler which means I'm paying more than the going rate of 80 round my way. £450 a week is decent money for turning up, doing a days work and going home again and getting your wages every friday. No measuring, no awkward customers, no standing in suppliers, no waiting 60 days on money. I pay him a cheque and its up to him to sort his own tax.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
So you lads would pay,cards in £120 a day,£600 a week,right,someone give me a job.
self employed tradesmen around my way and I'd say most of the uk only earn £120 maybe £150 if your lucky.,,Jesus, you would have to get some work out of him to earn a bit of money off him with price work ,van, diesel ,van insurance ,all liability insurance ,paye,NI,Jesu,what else,oh aye 4 weeks paid hols,plus bank hols,plus sick pay ect ect ect.
And why would you not get a good tiler or any good tradesman for £400 a week ? You boys must be earning a good grand week in week out every week 52 weeks a year ,drive porches and holiday in the Maldives 3 times a year :)

Reply to Looking to employ a tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB