Discuss Looking to employ a tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I sub for a firm and the plumbers ,carpenters and the plasterer all yet £15 an hour and they are on the cards with vans and yes they get four weeks holiday I charge them £180 on day work.

Can you pm there details to me im going to go for a job,where are you ?

Its all about areas, BUT i don't know one firm who would pay that cards in,big firms or ikkle one man bands around lancs and yorkshire and even surrounding areas would not pay that cards in , not blinking way ;)

Last edited:
Its not a building firm its a pub/hotel chain only known in the south east the workers are paid good money because when they do a major refit they have to work hard and they need reliable workers thats why they pay well .If I have a deadline to keep too and get held up and it is not my fault I have to still make the deadline thats why the.money is good ,also if I have other work and they need me I drop everything and work for them they are my no 1 customer.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Its not a building firm its a pub/hotel chain only known in the south east the workers are paid good money because when they do a major refit they have to work hard and they need reliable workers thats why they pay well .If I have a deadline to keep too and get held up and it is not my fault I have to still make the deadline thats why the.money is good ,also if I have other work and they need me I drop everything and work for them they are my no 1 customer.

I ain't having a go alfright mate.
Are they working straight 8hour shifts ?
,I have mates from up here (tradesmen) who work away,cards in running jobs,not touching £600 a week.
I know subbies from around here going away,working 12 hour days tiling,4days then half day then travel home and lucky to earn £750 a week
You must be one lucky man alfright

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I was on books 7 years ago. £10.50 per hour plus bonus £40-80 per week. van, boots, holiday pay, no worries about work...
wouldn't go back tho..

Good times 7 years ago as well.
I really don't get how any one man band,like most of us on here are would pay £600 a week (over 30 grand a year)plus for a cards in employee,you would have to draw over 40 grand a year to cover him to make a do.
400 or a bit more is hard enough to find on quiet months,never mind good months (and I have another lad as well,but on les than half that,apprentice)
£10 a hour around my way and anywhere up North is a decent wage,they want more,go self employed :)

P

Peter

If I could get 120 a day on the books I'd knock the self employment on the head and just do homers at the weekends.

Self employed is the way to take on another tiler. Don't know of any tilers in my area who take anyone on the cards. Business suicide unless you have guaranteed contracts. If you take someone on as self employed, they're still as good as employed but none of the financial implications if you're slack and need to tell them to arrange their own work for a few days.

I couldn't sleep at night if I hit a quiet patch and had to pay a lad £600, even though I had only a splashback for him all week. :lol:

There are plenty of tilers about who are great unknowns. Great tilers but who just want to turn up and do a days tiling. Not all want the hassle of running their own business so are happy to churn out good work for £80-90 a day. I know one tiler who was wanting to get off the tools, and his employed(self employed) tiler wouldn't budge. He said he'd give him all his work, give him the van etc but he just wasn't interested in working for himself, but a good tiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I,ve worked for the company for the last 14 years although I am on price which is £18 per m2 this is also what I charge for hourly ,these prices are for over the board even if its mosaic ,ceramic or stone.They pay the money because they need the work done fast as being on a time scale,and the lads on the cards do 10 hour days and call outs even when they are on holiday thats why the money is good as they are at the beck and call of the company.To be honest they dont have much of a life style they live and breath the company me on the other hand only work on the major refits,as the plumber does all the making good and small tiling jobs.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Can you pm there details to me im going to go for a job,where are you ?

Its all about areas, BUT i don't know one firm who would pay that cards in,big firms or ikkle one man bands around lancs and yorkshire and even surrounding areas would not pay that cards in , not blinking way ;)

that's the main point it depends where you live as to what the going rate is and how much work there is .....opp north £10 p/h might be a good wage, and you could buy another whippet at the end of the week...:sofahide: however in London most wouldn't get out of bed for it..

S

steve187

i don't think subbing for an hour rate is on really, day rate then ok, but price work is the best.

to change to being on the books is something that takes some thinking about, the freedom along with the stress of being your own boss is what its all about, i think working for someone and keeping the high standards of prep and finish, is something that could go by the wayside if pressure to move onto the next job comes into play.

C

cr0ft

Ok. Further to the comments and advice on here I have posted a job in the looking for a tiler section of the forum. Pay would be £180 for an 8 hour day on a subcontracted basis (minus CIS deductions of course, statement will be provided monthly as required). All materials for jobs will be provided in advance. Need someone who can start at short notice, i.e. this Wednesday coming. If we are both happy with one another we would be able to offer regular work.

Anyone who is interested please contact me on 07572 613964.

Thanks,

Keiran.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
that's the main point it depends where you live as to what the going rate is and how much work there is .....opp north £10 p/h might be a good wage, and you could buy another whippet at the end of the week...:sofahide: however in London most wouldn't get out of bed for it..

I agree andy, but i know lads down london who earn £120 a day self employed mate, its not all glossy down south .

Ps my dogs half whippet , his mum would open her legs for any old mutt :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ok. Further to the comments and advice on here I have posted a job in the looking for a tiler section of the forum. Pay would be £180 for an 8 hour day on a subcontracted basis (minus CIS deductions of course, statement will be provided monthly as required). All materials for jobs will be provided in advance. Need someone who can start at short notice, i.e. this Wednesday coming. If we are both happy with one another we would be able to offer regular work.

Anyone who is interested please contact me on 07572 613964.

Thanks,

Keiran.

I want a van, fuel card and a iphone 5s , plus all bank holidays (including spanish,french and italian) plus eid and on ramadam i want special treatment cos i be that hungry i will struggle to work !
If i work 5mins over 8 hours i want it rounding off to the NEXT hour, agree and i will start monday

If you are on price surely you must earn more than £80 per day,so whats so strange on earning £180 per day on day work thats for ten hours,I do not like day work as I know that I can earn much more on price.To me £10 an hour on the cards is an insult to a tradesman I wonder how much they expect you to do in a day,I also worked in London three years ago on day work and I was getting £25 per hour I was on 14 hour days, but I hated the job but stuck with it because the money was good.In my opinion you are out to get the most you can,and me for one would not get out of bed for £10 an hour I was on them rates in the 80s,that's labourer's money

Last edited:
J

jonnyc

it is quite difficult to work out what is fair pay and difference between an employee and a subcontractor who have their own costs.
If i pay one my experienced employees £ 160.00 per day before tax he would take home £ 600.00 per week.
when you add in the 30 days paid holidays and say 8 days sick paid then employee earns
£ 190 .00 per day gross for the days they work .
also has company van petrol paid,phone etcc
He actually needs to earn me £ 238.00 per day by the time i have paid tax his N.I/plus employer insurance /holidays sickness and a quarter contribution to company overheads before i earn my first penny every day of the week regardless of delays, bad debts etcc.
It all adds up to a lot of money.
a subcontractor who has all his ownoverheads would certainly need to charge £ 180.00 per ona day rate

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
If you are on price surely you must earn more than £80 per day,so whats so strange on earning £180 per day on day work thats for ten hours,I do not like day work as I know that I can earn much more on price.To me £10 an hour on the cards is an insult to a tradesman I wonder how much they expect you to do in a day,I also worked in London three years ago on day work and I was getting £25 per hour I was on 14 hour days, but I hated the job but stuck with it because the money was good.In my opinion you are out to get the most you can,and me for one would not get out of bed for £10 an hour I was on them rates in the 80s,that's labourer's money

Jesus afright, how many friggin times, now im having a go.

Read jonnys comment, read my comment, in fact balls to it , i aint arsed.
If someone (like you) can earn nigh on £50 grand a year cards in + van ect ect i say well done , stand up and give a bow
Good day

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
it is quite difficult to work out what is fair pay and difference between an employee and a subcontractor who have their own costs.
If i pay one my experienced employees £ 160.00 per day before tax he would take home £ 600.00 per week.
when you add in the 30 days paid holidays and say 8 days sick paid then employee earns
£ 190 .00 per day gross for the days they work .
also has company van petrol paid,phone etcc
He actually needs to earn me £ 238.00 per day by the time i have paid tax his N.I/plus employer insurance /holidays sickness and a quarter contribution to company overheads before i earn my first penny every day of the week regardless of delays, bad debts etcc.
It all adds up to a lot of money.
a subcontractor who has all his ownoverheads would certainly need to charge £ 180.00 per ona day rate

Im lucky to get £180 a day for 1 and a half lads up here, think i may move down south, then again my 4 bed house which cost me 60 grand (15 y ago)would be nigh on half a mill down south, so swings and roundsbouts

Jesus afright, how many friggin times, now im having a go.

Read jonnys comment, read my comment, in fact balls to it , i aint arsed.
If someone (like you) can earn nigh on £50 grand a year cards in + van ect ect i say well done , stand up and give a bow 
Good day
There,s no way I earn the amount you are saying I am not on the cards I am a sub contractor as you have said its swings and roundabouts,some days I maybe doing a small job then others days I could earn bundles there's days when I have no work its very hit and miss down here my original comment was that tradesman on that firm do get £15 an hour on the cards because I have seen there wage slips of which I am not one of them.Maybe the going rate is different up your way but if some one offered me £10 an hour on the the cards or subbing I would rather sit on my backside.I do not employ anybody I solely work on my own and would not want the worry of employing some one.

Last edited:

Reply to Looking to employ a tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB