Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Manual vs electric tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

W

wallygrout

Hi everyone

I am "doing the bathroom" myself to save a bit of cash. I have a plasplugs electric wet cutter about 10 years old with a disc blade about 75mm across. I thought it was fantastic when I last used it compared to rubbishy old £3:50 plastic manual cutters; bit noisy and messy - but L shaped cuts wow!!

I need a new blade for this new project and the shops these days all seem to sell machines with bigger disc blades 100mm +.

I guess I could get a replacement from Plasplugs £8 or so but I wondered if a bigger bladed machine is worth getting while I have my credit card out?? Topps do one for about £35 or if a fabulous one was on offer I might stretch a little bit more I suppose

There is only about 4msq of floor tiling (450mm Porcelain), but about 12msq of wall tiling (bog standard ceramic wall tiles 200 x 300mm)

Would it be better to invest in a decent but small manual slide type cutter for all the straight cuts required for the wall tiles, and then do the tiddly amount of floor tiles with my Noddy electric, or should I go for a newer more beefy electric type to tackle the whole job?

I already know the answer really - it all depends:lol: but any thoughts on the two types compared would be very useful and also the blade size issue.

Thanks for any help

wally

T

Time's Ran Out

Wally - If you have not cut porcelain before on a manual hand cutter you may break more than the £35-00 the wet cutter would cost. And, at that stage, you may wish you'd spent the money on 1 machine that will do your angle/straight/'L' shape cuts.
However you may also find that the blade will only last for the 1 job - no problem for the walls but could be eaten up on the porcelain (you may want to try cutting the porcelain upside down to limit and chipping on the face of the tile).:thumbsup:
So ther you go Wally - it all depends!

Timeless John.

W

wallygrout

Ooo that is bit alarming do you think the rubi will tackle the porcelain OK I have some spare tiles but not a lot! I have done a bit of porcelain tiling before but not using a manual.

Like the sound of quiet and quick manual cutting but not if the tiles get trashed in the process!!

BTW Would a new 100mm+ disc blade wet cutter be a lot better than my old 80mm (just measured it) 300Watt one would you say?

D

DHTiling

If it is a wet cutter you prefer then this one from Rubi and available at trade tiler as well is good..i have one...:thumbsup:

Rubi ND180 Basic Line - Case 2 x Blade 240v

http://www.**************/acatalog/nd-180-bl-220.jpg
Rub's Basic Line wet saw

- Stainless steel tilting table for mitring
- 2 x general purpose blades
- Blade 180mm x 22.2mm bore
- 35mm cut thickness
- Simple guide to allow repetitive cutting
- Direct driven blade/motor system
- 550w motor
- Very rugged carry case included

Sorry only 240v available

Tradetiler Wet Tile Saws

Reply to Manual vs electric tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am looking at wet saws and only a DIY here but got a few odd shapes to cut. What would...
Replies
Views
ShropshireLad
S
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Good Morning,new member here, been in the game 25 years, but never too old to learn stuff. I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, been a keen reader of the forum for a few weeks now. Getting ready for a DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Manual vs electric tile cutter
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • BAL

Votes: 27 31.0%