UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Mapei Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minnie

LMAO.

It doesn't matter whether you use BAL, Mapei or any other manufacturer, if you don't clean the joints, the grout will look ropey.

Oi, Brixton's got some very nice areas you know :incazzato:

Not many, but erm....

right, where were we? :lol:

The field tiles are pretty clean (if a bit uneven), but the mosaics need some serious work. I thought I'd try to hack them out with a stanley then try to sandpaper the remnants out

M

Minnie

i had to remove mosaics once last year(customer hadn't enough of right colour,and couldn't get more).

wow,pain in rear there,i had stuck them on with a top quality bagged adhesive!!
took a lot of work to remove.

I have no intention of taking them off. They can fall off if they like but I refuse to willingly remove them.

Anyway, modem's overheating so I'm switching off for the night to give it a good rest.

Have a good Christmas :thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
I don't want to end up with grey grout and there's no way I'm going to be able to get all the adhesive out from between the mosaics so maybe I'm better off going for the BAL.

The adhesive is erm, I dunno, sort of like Polyfilla colour :lol:

If you asked me to describe Polyfilla colour I'd be stuck. It's not pink, it's not grey, it's er....

this grout does not dry brilliant white

G

grumpygrouter

I gotta say that I have used this Mapei white grout twice now and not had a "grey" issue with it. I think with pigments, as with black which can come in various "shades", so can white. It all depends if the customer is happy with the result. Both my customers were so at this point in time, I would carry on using it but I will take note of other users comments on the actual "brightness" of it if my cutomers have "brilliant white" tiles they are having fixed. I will do a test piece to make sure they don't look wrong.

M

Minnie

in answer to your original question minnie

yes you need to use the correct amount of water as specified

using too much water can effect the colour of the grout

it can cause white grout to dry out with a slight greyish tint

Cheers Mike. Haven't been to Topps to get any of the BAL stuff yet as been too busy. I've also got to rake out the joints where all the adhesive has squeezed through the mosaics. Not having much joy with Stanley knife so thinking I might go and get one of those grout rake thingies

M

Minnie

The grout rakes are ok...but if the blade is wider than the mosaic joints, then it will not work....check the width and if ok then use a rake..:thumbsup:

Well the Stanley is too thin, and slightly dangerous to work with at funny angles, especially considering how clumsy I am :lol:

I already got a tile splinter in one finger and accidentally nipped myself with the tile nippers (first time I ever decided not to wear gloves and I nip myself instead of the tile :lol:)

D

DHTiling

Well the Stanley is too thin, and slightly dangerous to work with at funny angles, especially considering how clumsy I am :lol:

I already got a tile splinter in one finger and accidentally nipped myself with the tile nippers (first time I ever decided not to wear gloves and I nip myself instead of the tile :lol:)

accidentally nipped myself with the tile nippers

laughitup.gif

Reply to Mapei Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hello, I recently lifted some modern tiles to reveal the original Victorian Tiles (Actually...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
So... have a problem maybe some of you guys (and girls) might be able to help with. Laid a new...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.