Discuss marking your cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Some old houses , the walls could be megga out of plumb , so point to point marking is required , not all jobs are 100 % plumb and square , welcome to the real world of tiling.

no need for the welcome, been here for a while. If the wall is out of plumb then i will always look for a solution to correct this, especially if tiling an external mitre then its a must! Having said that, if the only solution is to tile then mark tile then flip and mark ( point to point)

D

DHTiling

no need for the welcome, been here for a while. If the wall is out of plumb then i will always look for a solution to correct this, especially if tiling an external mitre then its a must! Having said that, if the only solution is to tile then mark tile then flip and mark ( point to point)

120 yr old house , quadrant shower in one corner of bathroom , no other tiling , walls out of plumb by 6 inches but flat , how do you plumb shower walls. ?

C

charlie1

120 yr old house , quadrant shower in one corner of bathroom , no other tiling , walls out of plumb by 6 inches but flat , how do you plumb shower walls. ?

as i previously said Dave, sometimes you just need to tile to the profile of the wall. However in the situation you describe is very extreme, on a less extreme scenario to the one you describe, you could plumb the internal row where the two tiles meet in corner, then fade out to the profile of the wall where the tiling stops, depending on different factors, it may look better to simply tile the wall. I think when tiling with large format and stone where the side edge can be exposed, its good practice to make the wall plumb

D

DHTiling

as i previously said Dave, sometimes you just need to tile to the profile of the wall. However in the situation you describe is very extreme, on a less extreme scenario to the one you describe, you could plumb the internal row where the two tiles meet in corner, then fade out to the profile of the wall where the tiling stops, depending on different factors, it may look better to simply tile the wall. I think when tiling with large format and stone where the side edge can be exposed, its good practice to make the wall plumb

In an ideal tiling world yes :)... i do as you mention when possible but if tiling was that easy then 5 day courses would work :)

D

DHTiling

Dave, stick to the point or bow out like you said

You cannot plumb every wall , surely even you know that..?

lets say you have a shower wall with 2 exposed edges .. (L/shape) ..

Wall 1 is 15mm out of plumb within 2,3 mtrs high and wall 2 10mm out of plumb...

So what you are saying is you would pack both walls out to be plumb and have a 15mm and 10mm exposed filled edge ..? ..

listen.. at the end of the day each job is taken at face value and tiles accordingly to suit said situation .. if you say each job should be 100% plumb etc then i am afraid you are deluded..

if only tiling substrates were 100% perfect day in day out.. i would sleep well at night

T

The D

what exactly do you mean by that dean?
From what you are saying I think you must be the best tiler on the planet if you tile every wall and you only have to put one mark on the tile and it fits perfectly you must be all that and a bag of chips and I take my hat of to you as I am a mere mortal and have to mark the tile at both ends. That is exactly what I mean

C

charlie1

You cannot plumb every wall , surely even you know that..?

lets say you have a shower wall with 2 exposed edges .. (L/shape) ..

Wall 1 is 15mm out of plumb within 2,3 mtrs high and wall 2 10mm out of plumb...

So what you are saying is you would pack both walls out to be plumb and have a 15mm and 10mm exposed filled edge ..? ..

listen.. at the end of the day each job is taken at face value and tiles accordingly to suit said situation .. if you say each job should be 100% plumb etc then i am afraid you are deluded..

if only tiling substrates were 100% perfect day in day out.. i would sleep well at night

no, i you read my reply again you will see that i agreed with you to a certain extent!

option 1, plumb wall and have exposed edge gap.

option 2, plumb where tiles meet in corner but fade to profile of wall on outer edge

option 3 simply tile whole wall out of plumb.

I'm well aware that tiling to profile of wall is the better option in some cases.

D

DHTiling

no, i you read my reply again you will see that i agreed with you to a certain extent!

option 1, plumb wall and have exposed edge gap.

option 2, plumb where tiles meet in corner but fade to profile of wall on outer edge

option 3 simply tile whole wall out of plumb.

I'm well aware that tiling to profile of wall is the better option in some cases.

Then re-read back through your arsey replies to members and see where we are coming from FFS.

bangs head against wall :)

Reply to marking your cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Most tutorials suggest 'pushing firmly'. How do you know how firmly, and how can you ensure that...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB