Discuss Mosaics in the "New" roman villa in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BoldreChris

So I'm watching the new series on More4 at the moment (Rome wasn't built in a day) - builders trying to construct a new roman villa using original tools (ish) and they're going to be doing mosaic floors over a hypercaust by the look of it.

I don't think they'll be using any PVA but it might be interesting to see what methods and tools they are allowed to use.

Did anyone here get asked how it might be done?

I'm very surprised the archaeologist didn't twig on quicker about the Pozzolan mix (volcanic rock mixed with lime) Even in Roman Britain they had an artificial Pozzolan using ground up pottery shards and slag (waste from the inside of a furnace).
The mosaic floor will be interesting to see ;-)

I did get asked about the mosaic side but it went no further than a couple of calls, I have to baulk at using coloured clay for the mosaic. And as the film company bod said, 'We are talking to another mosaic artist, they don't have your practical experience but they have written a couple of papers which have been published'.

Last edited:
U

user123

I'm very surprised the archaeologist didn't twig on quicker about the Pozzolan mix (volcanic rock mixed with lime) Even in Roman Britain they had an artificial Pozzolan using ground up pottery shards and slag (waste from the inside of a furnace).
The mosaic floor will be interesting to see ;-)

I did get asked about the mosaic side but it went no further than a couple of calls, I have to baulk at using coloured clay for the mosaic. And as the film company bod said, 'We are talking to another mosaic artist, they don't have your practical experience but they have written a couple of papers which have been published'.

Ay, that was an oversight and a half by an expert .. I thought of you and wondered if you could be involved in this ... never mind eh?

I've never been too worried about getting on TV, the resultant publicity can be quite limited. I did have another certain well known archaeological programme ask about me creating, over 3 days part of a mosaic floor, approximately 5' x 3' (10mm tesserae) including a portrait. For which I'd have my expenses paid.......and that's it. It would have been fun to do, if nothing just so people could see just how fast the Romans could have worked. Unfortunately at that time I just couldn't have afforded to do it.

I saw a shot of the mosaic at the beginning of the last one and I'm afraid I was pretty gobsmacked. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Reply to Mosaics in the "New" roman villa in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello everyone, new to the forum, nice to meet you. A tiler recommended to bring this question...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
I
I had a little head scratcher on my latest job, I needed to pack out for a mosaic feature and...
Replies
Views
J
i have a couple of areas to quote for outside in london. first one is with new original style...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
H
Hi all! Ive just joined and thought id pop in to say hello. Ive been a handyman builder most my...
Replies
Views
Diamond Pool Finishers
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mosaics in the "New" roman villa
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.