Discuss Mother of pearl mosaic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I did an accent wall with some seashell tile. They were mounted on a paper mesh, I didn't have to do too much cutting but I used a grinder with smooth diamond blade and cut dry. Interesting smell when cutting, smells like burnt hair.
This was left ungrouted.
Wow, this is fantastic looking stuff:drool5:

I would really love to get my hands on this material:thumbsup:

H

Homza

Rob, Yes that is an installation here in Maui. It is for a high end condo building. The designer provided the tile. The louver door is to a bedroom. It is a popular look out here for interior doors. Many times on the high end projects they go with mahogany trim and doors, not painted wood like this one. The louvers don't actually let any air through, it is just for the look.
And here is a little press I got on this project. I used Laticrete's 4 XLT nonsag mortar to install the tile.
Laticrete Conversations: SeaShell Tiles
Mosaic Girl, sorry to :rifle:hijack your thread. Did you get a chance to see your mother of pearl tile in person yet?

Well got to get off the laptop and go set some tile. It is Wednesday morning out here.

Hi Mosaic Girl. Thanks for your kind comments regarding our Mother-of-Pearl mosaics. With regards your question and the cutting of the mosaics, they can easily be done either dry or wet and you should take the same precautions as if you were cutting stone or glass mosaics, ie the wearing of normal safety gear. The mosaics are not harmful to health providing as with any material it is used in the correct manner. We do advise if dry cutting and as with any process incorporating dust, to wear a dust mask to prevent inhalation of unnecessary dust. The mosaics are not toxic.

With regards the cutting, the mosaics cut exceptionally well and do not splinter as can be the case with glass or stone. We recommend the use of diamond disc or similar as this gives a smooth, crisp cut.

There is a slight odour given off with the cutting, which can remind some people of being at the 'dentists' as the mother-of-pearl carries sum of the same properties as bone being it is produced from a natural material.

With regards 'fine' cutting to allow for taps and fittings, due to the nature of the product this can be done relatively easy after installation, with the likes of a Dremel or similar.

We hope this satisfactorily answers your questions but please let us know if you ever have any further questions.

Siminetti

Reply to Mother of pearl mosaic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Good Evening, Kicking myself here, I’ve recently fitted some mosaic travertine tiles around the...
Replies
Views
Having read part of the nightmare mosaic thread (and I concur with the comments, shocking) I was...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Mother of pearl mosaic tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.