Discuss Muppets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Just got a call today

Hi Chris
You might remember me you tiled our kitchen splasback back in 2009 we live in ******
ive got a problem with the tiles can you come and have a look

yep no problem i did remember her and she lives by the house im renovating

I will pop in to have a look in half an hour whats the problem ?

they are all going grey and patchy i cant really describe it over the phone

got there and she points the problem out

and shes right grey patches on a lot of the tiles grout still perfect in Jasmine

Its because THATS WHAT THE TILES ARE LIKE YOU MUPPET

three years and she has only just noticed

i surrender

muppet

G

Gazzer

Well I can try and beat that. Phone call...."The white grout has gone dirty !".....Ermmmmm when did i tile that ? " Oh about 8 years ago"....Errr ok I will have a look for you. When i got there , I remembered the job, I looked at the grout and it was slightly off white in the main shower area but not bad for 8 years and most of the shower tray which I had nothing to do with was almost grey with ground in dirt.
Customer was not happy when I said I thought it was acceptable. When I pointed out the shower tray colour she wouldnt listen. She then asked how to clean the joints and I said there were a few products available but she said she would continue using bleach !! When I said bleach would harm the grout she said I knew nothing ! Anyway it got me out of her house

G

Gazzer

Oh and recently saw a job which I was told was a a bathroom to tile. Well I assumed it was walls but when I got there it was abrand new house and it was a very small bathroom floor...600x600 porcelain (B&Q) and someone had already started.......They had fixed 3 full tiles to the chipboard floor and attempted to cut one tile to the skirting...8mm too small. The cuts around the pan in 4 pieces, 2 of wich were broke and the others looked like they had been chewed off. Then I noticed the tiles moved....I investigated and they had 8 blobs of decorators caulk on each tile.
She asked if i could finish the job and I told her all the issues I could see. She didnt blink but just wanted the job done. I told her that to do the job properly that the pan and pedestal would need removing but then teh basin and pedestal would foaul teh splashback on over the basin. The floor needed boarding over but also screwing down the original chipboard which had already started to expand since she had moved into the house. So basically I was trying to talk myself out of getting the job. At the end of the conversation she agreed to go with Vinyl or carpet.

A day later she phoned me and asked if i would still do the job but she didn't want the pedestal or pan removed ! I declined her offer.

R

Rob Z

I did a counter and backsplash about 10 years ago, and used epoxy grout. I told the customer that epoxy grout was "stain-resistant", but not "stain-proof". I said the epoxy grout would mean it's "low maintenance", not "no maintenance". She asked "what does that mean?":lol:

So I explained that staining liquids and stuff on the counter have a dwell time, and with the lower absorption of the epoxy grout the time for the stain to take a set would extended, thus giving her more time to react to a spill or a mess, and get the stuff cleaned up ASAP. OK, I thought I had done a good job of explaining this. Apparently not.

I had an occasion to talk to her some time later, and asked how they liked the tile. "Everything looks great". I asked: "Any problems with staining? Have you been cleaning it?"

"OH, we have a stain in the corner...hubby spilled some wine" I said "Well, clean it up quickly and it should be OK"

She said "Well, it happened the other night during a party". :yikes: "Will it be hard to clean it up now? It looks like a really bad stain!":dizzy2:

Me: :mad2:

American English: Dimwit!

British English: Muppet!

Reply to Muppets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Just been to look a bathroom floor for a customer,she couldn't explain on the phone the problem...
Replies
Views
P
I must have done something really bad in a previous life, when it rains it pours. I had a phone...
Replies
Views
Pebbs
P
K
Hi to everyone using Tilersforum. I'm a tiling amateur but I do my best and give it a go...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
S
afternoon everyone i am having major problems with the Romano tile bought 27m2 delivered by...
Replies
Views
stocky339
S
I
Evening all, I've done this chimney breast feature in my living room and am almost ready to...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Perry
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Muppets
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.