Discuss My first bathroom project in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Supercoley1

Hello, I am just setting about doing my first full bathroom DIY job (not pro at all) and have managed to do most things through internet research etc.
The project in question is a bathroom that currently has a shower over bath, W/C, sink and a wall hung radiator. The room is approx 280cm across the breadth (window wall) and 270cm from the door to the window wall. There a dog leg to the room as the airing cupboard is set within this room into a seperate area on the left of the door.
I will be keeping these apart from the wall hung radiator which I want to remove and then put a towel radiator in another place. I don't have a problem with the plumbing and radiator aspect.
We have had the bathroom like this since we moved in 30 months ago and all we did was to change the bath taps for a shower mixer type, tile the shower area on the window and half the bath side wall (It only had a 420mm high splashback around the bath previous to this), put up a shower curtain rail and laminate the floor. Pretty basic 'quick' but ready to use. The picture below shows what this was like:
bath.jpg

After planning to redo the bathroom we decided to do it early July and it would take a few months to complete due to the budget (Each month we can afford the 'next step')
So on 10th July we started to plan the bathroom. The W/C and sink will remain in the same place. The Bath will still be on the wall but will be moved so that each end is an equal distance from the wall. A frame will then be built around the bath so that I can tile under the rim and make it look like the bath has been 'sunken'.
The radiator which is currently on the right as you enter the bathroom will be removed and then the plumbing redone to put a towel radiator behind the door as you enter the bathroom.
The area where the bath is will be tiled in black, white and lime green inspired by a picture on ********** here:
Fusion Kiwi Wall Tile | Topps Tiles
however we don't have anywhere near the budget to use those tiles and get the exact design. I have sourced some lime green, black and white tiles that are all a lot cheaper and are 150mm x 150mm. The design of this area is here (These plans are rough guides as they don't allow for grout joints. I will line them up properly when I get the tiles to gauge the number across etc when the tiles come.)
This is the 'fold out' design and what you will see facing the bath. The lime is bit bright in these pictures where the tile I have bought is more subtler more like the ones in the ********** picture:
plan.jpg

And this is the plan from above:
plan%20above.jpg

The green/black/white combo will only go as far as the bath surround and the rest will be plain white.
This is the lime tile I have bought. 2 boxes:
Tiles, Ceramic Tiles, Wall Tiles, Gloss Lime Green Tile
The floor will also be tiled with white 330x330 tiles. Very crisp very clean, very bright with the single 'feature' area of the bath drawing the focus.
I will update tomorrow on what I have done already.
Regards
AC

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Supercoley1

After 5 years of this project being a work in progress I finally completed it in July last year. It took me another 7 months to actually take some photographs of it but at least it is done.

So what has been completed since the last update? Quite a lot is the answer.

Firstly in 2014 the council insisted that the toilet and basin were updated so they installed a pedestal basin and a close coupled toilet. At the same time they fitted a ceiling extractor linked into the light. Very nice of them. I point blank refused their offer of a new bath which would have wrecked my tiling and tanking.

The floor was then tiled in July 2015. I lifted the toilet out and tiled properly there but I couldn't do that with the pedestal so I cut the tiles flush to the base of it. These are the cheap grey tiles from Wickes. About a tenner for a box of 6. I used the floor tiles for "skirting" as well.

In 2014 I made the 2 access panels for the front of the bath. They now match the wall behind and the "bath panel" which have both been in place since the very early days so in these pictures the green/white/black combo and the window tiles have been there for just short of 5 years.

Just after the floor had set I tiled the rest of the walls so the whole bathroom is now white walls with one feature wall.

My wife hasn't chosen a shower curtain that really goes with the bathroom in this picture but after putting up with a WIP bathroom for so long I dare not complain.

I also changed the bath tap / shower combo all the way up to the showe head. I bought a really nice stainless steel sleek shower head and then properly plumbed it along the ceiling, down the wall into another of the push/pull t-pieces similar to the ones on the bath tap so that the wife could also use the shower hand held. Women like handhelds I gather. It has a Heineken effect for them.

From the t-piece to the bath tap there is a standard showe hose. I suppose I could get a shorter one so it is tidier but at the moment we still have this.

I also got rid of the old taps and replaced them with a thermostatic one.

All in all the bathroom looks great, the shower works really well and the 5 year old tiling is holding up nicely.

Grey silicon was used to seal the floor/skirting with my usual thick bead using a 2p coin. It is about 1cm from the angle to the edge of the silicon, same as the bath seal bead.

So there is the end of the project. I have included some gratuitous pictures of the window "frame" tiling as people seemed quite interested to see how tidy that would be.

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My first bathroom project in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
I have started to notice a wet pattern look on my Porcelanosa Marmol Carrara Blanco bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB