Discuss My poor old knees! Kneepad advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Here is the best option, forget the knee pads and make up one of these that i used to use.
First get a piece of 18mm ply about 20 inches x 12 inches, then get a piece of 6 inch poylestyrene that builders use for floating floors, same size as the ply, put that on top then get a rubber kneeling mat and put it on top of the poly, get your gaffa tape out and tape it all together well so you completely strap it all up.

You can then work in a pair of normal sweat pants, no knee pads needed, if you kneel down onto it and put your shins on the box you have just made and let your knees hang over the top, you will find this a great position to be in when floor tiling, your knees dont ever touch the floor and your toes are straight out instead of curled up.
Just try and put your shins on top of a bag of adhesive and hang your knees over it, this will give you an idea of what im talking about
Regards
Darren

J

JW RESTORATION

I have tried many knee pads over the years, one problem I find is that with knee pads you quite often rock around on the ball of the knee pad. This can also lead to problems with your back, as the muscles in your back are making short sharp movements to correct your position. Add to this the fact you could be twisted round to pick something up and you could really injure your back. Like Graham100 said , the built in knee pads are no use and are quite often poor quality and constantly move about. . I have now found the solution with a kneeler, it was only £1 from homebase and it gives you a perfect firm supported flat platform for your knees. You could try 2 on top of each other to adjust your kneeling position. They are really hard wearing and at that price are a bargin!! I think due to the nature of our work we will suffer to some degree in the end, but rather bad knees than bad eyes from starring at a computer screen for my whole life!! Swimming really helped my knees and back.

T

tfs

If you know any carpet fitters, ask them if they have any offcuts of cloud 9 underlay. This is a polyurethane underlay (foam type) and is ideal. You can choose your own size and thickness by cutting to the desired size and folding over to fit perfectly into your pouch. You can fit them loose into your knee pockets or you can use spray glue to ensure that the pads stay closed and then insert them into you knee pockets.

See the pics below to see what I mean,

These have been in for around a year and are pretty worn now and I will replace soon. These were just some foam I had in my attic, prior to these I used cloud 9, which were the best that I have had!

To make them measure the height of your pockets and then measure the width.

Now cut a peice of foam to the height of your pockets

You can cut to twice the width of your pockets and fold over once OR cut three times the width of your pockets and fold twice. (whatever your pocket allows and gives you best comfort)

Attachments

• knee pads.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 29
  • knee pads 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Here is the best option, forget the knee pads and make up one of these that i used to use.
First get a piece of 18mm ply about 20 inches x 12 inches, then get a piece of 6 inch poylestyrene that builders use for floating floors, same size as the ply, put that on top then get a rubber kneeling mat and put it on top of the poly, get your gaffa tape out and tape it all together well so you completely strap it all up.

You can then work in a pair of normal sweat pants, no knee pads needed, if you kneel down onto it and put your shins on the box you have just made and let your knees hang over the top, you will find this a great position to be in when floor tiling, your knees dont ever touch the floor and your toes are straight out instead of curled up.
Just try and put your shins on top of a bag of adhesive and hang your knees over it, this will give you an idea of what im talking about
Regards
Darren

That sounds like a long drawn out way of looking after your knees, people tend to move off kneeling pads whilst they reach for something. Knee pads or inserts have to be a better choice imo.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
This is like what i mean, Karl Dahm do this one for £60 ish but the one i made costs about a tenner. You will see that your knees dont touch the ground, they are on wheels so you can move about as well, make another tray on wheels for your adi and tiles to go on, suits more bigger floor jobs than bathrooms etc, but if your on your knees all day they they are the best imo,

The other good thing about this knee box is if you are struggling and a bit quiet, get yourself down to the train station with a sauce pan with a sign around your neck saying feed me, like Eddi Murphey in trading places, supprising how much you might rake in

Anyway, more serious, whatever works for you is best
Regards
Darren

Well, I finally splashed out on some new shoe's and keck's. I finished early one day to go to a workclothes store, it was already closed by 4.15!! Ended up at B&Q, and aquired some of the Dewalt Apprentice Boots and a nice pair of JCB 'proper' work pants.

I though I would try some of the knee pads that are supposed to be put in the pockets, and what a load of rubbish they truely are!! As this thread suggest's save your money and try something else.

I've only had them 2 days and decided I'm gonna get some new skater-type pads.

Reply to My poor old knees! Kneepad advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Removed old tiles in a bathroom. New 60x30 porcs to go on. Plaster skim came off with odd...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
I've had am pro knee pads for years now. Practically made for life, all you need to do is de...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
O
well if you're like me, prob not!, my quest for the perfect knee pad continues. I spend an...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My poor old knees! Kneepad advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.