Discuss negative feedback in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

i dont quite understand this deano. Are you saying that the tutor on rich 83 course would be responsible for giving him a distinction. is that how it works ??
I did not take any tiling course although my i did send my foreman when he started for me many years ago on citb vauxhall school of building tiling course .
i did once do city and guild i think carpentry and i was aghast that my tutor chose the best practical works ie window frame for appraisal by some inspector and this seemed to go towards all our marks.( i would comfortably have put myself in bottom 10% for practical)
similar on theory which i was best at and totally alien to anything i done at o level and a level where it was only my own efforts that were marked and gave me a grade good or bad.
is a lecturer now responsible for making a decision about who passes or not and to what degree!!
if this is the case I am sure that most lecturers would be honest but it leaves the option for others to give good marks/passes to keep their profile and achievement high to ensure ongoing employment for themsleves .
i would be grateful if you could explain to us how this system works now as I am very serious about taking on two young lads this year when I will need to grow my business after my knee replacement .
My ideas to date was to visit my nearest tiling course centre and see the lecturer, put forward what i could offer a young trainee taking a proper tiling course and see if he thought i would be suitable as a future employer for two of his students and for me to get a feeling from him about who might best be suited for my business.

T

The D

i dont quite understand this deano. Are you saying that the tutor on rich 83 course would be responsible for giving him a distinction. is that how it works ??
I did not take any tiling course although my i did send my foreman when he started for me many years ago on citb vauxhall school of building tiling course .
i did once do city and guild i think carpentry and i was aghast that my tutor chose the best practical works ie window frame for appraisal by some inspector and this seemed to go towards all our marks.( i would comfortably have put myself in bottom 10% for practical)
similar on theory which i was best at and totally alien to anything i done at o level and a level where it was only my own efforts that were marked and gave me a grade good or bad.
is a lecturer now responsible for making a decision about who passes or not and to what degree!!
if this is the case I am sure that most lecturers would be honest but it leaves the option for others to give good marks/passes to keep their profile and achievement high to ensure ongoing employment for themsleves .
i would be grateful if you could explain to us how this system works now as I am very serious about taking on two young lads this year when I will need to grow my business after my knee replacement .
My ideas to date was to visit my nearest tiling course centre and see the lecturer, put forward what i could offer a young trainee taking a proper tiling course and see if he thought i would be suitable as a future employer for two of his students and for me to get a feeling from him about who might best be suited for my business.
That is a long story but to answer your main question yes aslong as the lecturer is a qualified assessor or his distinction was on the online test

J

jonnyc

think some of your reply is missing in response.
i am sure i am not seeing your whole post.
not sure whether my story too long which it usually is !!
or story too long to explain how the marking/issuing passes/distinctiions carried out .
but i can tell you dean, that i know you are totally passionate about what you are doing now .
if you were a lecturer on a course near me i would be delighted to come and see you and i hope in turn , you to meet me as a future employer of a student of yours.
but if i did not know the lecturer , if the process was that lecturer gave the grade i would be walking in to meeting wondering whether the lectuer is genuinely trying to help his best pupil in to a trade or trading himself high for his own gain .

T

The D

Sorry m8 I meant my reply would be toooooooo long but I willtry and make it short
The qual is split in to units and the lecturer will structure the training to hit the assessment criteria in the unit. The same for classroom lessons they will design a lesson plan to cover the questions in the job knowledge paper or online test.
Every lecturer will do their own lesson plan so if there are several lecturers in a college you may get a good one or a bad one.
It is common for the lecturer to assess the students but the college will have an internal verifier to keep an eye on things. There is also an external verifier that can come in and sample the folders and look at the assessment procedure.

R

rich83

If they sick to the qualification and follow the assessment process there is no problem but there is quite often a problem and it is the trade that suffers and the integrity of the qual is diminished with every person that that has a level 2 but is not capable.

I agree,although I did learn certain aspects.the college didn't allow us to use wet cutters,angle grinders,and their was a lack of supplies.there's so much that can't be taught such as uf heating,working with material other than ceramic, installing ply,insulation,sealing,loads more.

I agree,although I did learn certain aspects.the college didn't allow us to use wet cutters,angle grinders,and their was a lack of supplies.there's so much that can't be taught such as uf heating,working with material other than ceramic, installing ply,insulation,sealing,loads more.

Can I ask slightly off topic, how did they teach angle cuts I,e 90odegree cuts etc?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to negative feedback in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone Im looking for some advice. I currently work for my uncles business tiling for...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I have been doing a lot of research as to which is the best tanking product to use on...
Replies
Views
We are currently getting our whole house refurbished. The standard of the work as been very high...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB