Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
this one seems to me relatively straight forward - although not actually read the whole thread just the starting few posts - seems to me he has made his choice. HE walked out on you - you took him bakc - he walked out again saying he could not afford to work for you for what you were prepared to pay. If you were paying him what he was worth then fine. If he was worth more you would have paid him more. Don't lose any sleep over something which is not your fault.

D

diamondtiling

He sent me a text message last night saying that if I dont pay him £120 quid that he is owed then he will smash up the concrete that we laid last week.
I called around this morning with his money and he answered the door with a sheepish look on his face, I handed him two things, £120 and a post it note with the word 'Bridge' wrote on it, he asked "what does the note mean?" I said "its nothing mate, just burn it"
He rang me at 6pm asking for his job back.............nope!!

:thumbsup:

F

Fred

Neil has worked with me for two years then decided he wanted to go into the army, he lasted 9 months and was out. He called me after a week.
He walked off the job today because I dont pay him enough....he comes out with £220 a week, he is 20. I know we work some long days but we also finish early sometimes, I regularly buy him breakfast and let him use the van all the time............cant believe it!

He rang an hour ago and said he wants £350 per week.....I told him to get stuffed, then his Mum rang and said he was upset and he wished he had not walked of the job and could I take him back?

I said no......was I right because I feel as though I am.

:mad2:

My lad is working for 50 notes a day - 250 a week, from full plumbing, tiling, knocking down walls, putting in steels etc. I think you have him, for his age on a good wage, plus he possibley isn't paying tax etc.

My sons mate is 2 years out of his plastering course and walked from a job, 100 notes a day-- tax free, because he thinks he can get 180 a day! I've told the burk I often work for 120 a day, and he has his mum to pay the bills!

They are just greedy, an off-set from the Labour Governmet who gave out too much to people who thought they were owed a living. IMO.

M

mikethetile

My lad is working for 50 notes a day - 250 a week, from full plumbing, tiling, knocking down walls, putting in steels etc. I think you have him, for his age on a good wage, plus he possibley isn't paying tax etc.

My sons mate is 2 years out of his plastering course and walked from a job, 100 notes a day-- tax free, because he thinks he can get 180 a day! I've told the burk I often work for 120 a day, and he has his mum to pay the bills!

They are just greedy, an off-set from the Labour Governmet who gave out too much to people who thought they were owed a living. IMO.
I remember being berated by family for charging too much for my weekend private jobs when I was that age

thats what a proper painter charges...........I am a proper painter and have the papers to prove it

thats what a business charges..............thats right. why should I charge less

you did it over a weekend................yes. even more reason to charge the going rate

your too young to charge that rate............I did it unsupervised and completed on time, I also did a good job. whats age got to do with it

who was right me or them, if I had listened to them I would have had nothing all my life

its not youngsters charging a decent rate for their labour thats the problem, its the attitude in this country that tradesmen are overpaid

this is worse from instituitionalised proffessionals who retire early on fat pensions after a carreer in which they are protected in employment and never need worry about next weeks work as its always there

if youngsters believe they are worth 180 a day and demand it then good for them , why should they work for peanuts, someone has tought them the value of their labour

F

Fred

I remember being berated by family for charging too much for my weekend private jobs when I was that age

thats what a proper painter charges...........I am a proper painter and have the papers to prove it

thats what a business charges..............thats right. why should I charge less

you did it over a weekend................yes. even more reason to charge the going rate

your too young to charge that rate............I did it unsupervised and completed on time, I also did a good job. whats age got to do with it

who was right me or them, if I had listened to them I would have had nothing all my life

its not youngsters charging a decent rate for their labour thats the problem, its the attitude in this country that tradesmen are overpaid

this is worse from instituitionalised proffessionals who retire early on fat pensions after a carreer in which they are protected in employment and never need worry about next weeks work as its always there

if youngsters believe they are worth 180 a day and demand it then good for them , why should they work for peanuts, someone has tought them the value of their labour

I understand your comments. BUT , in South West London, and beleieve me its true, there are friends of mine with a wealth of experience WHO can't get even 120 a day, so, if a 19 year old turns up on your door step asking for 180 a day, plus all the non-UK members who do it for 60 notes a day, are these lads really going to get 180 a day, get feel.

We are most likely are going to go into a further dip. One builder I work for, and he gets crate loads of extentions in my area, only pays 110 a day, AND thats to blokes who have been in the game ages.

At the end of the day, I am right, as my lads mate has no work!

M

mikethetile

thats the problem in this country, tradesmen are undervalued

proffesionals can charge 100 an hour and nothings thought of it, head teachers on 1000 plus a week, their work is not harder or more valuable to society than a tradesmans

tradesmen carry the risk of not being paid, give credit to their client, suffer retentions on their payments, give the best years of their lives and then have to buy their own pensions, carry insurence and ddeal with their own ni and tax, they work themselves out of work and then have to find the next job

young lads who refuse to accept exploitation have their heads screwed on and are the future of this country

I earn more now and work less than I ever have, I have the respect of my clients and never have poblems with them, I refuse to work cheap and why should I

the money and work is there for those that want it

Reply to Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Neil walked?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.