Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Im having my tea, so got a break from take-off hell right now. Mike I dont think your a bunch of old women for wanting Dom to give this lad another go. Let me tell you why I had a bit of a rant.

First of all the biggest no-no in my opinion, is for anyone is to down tools and walk of site without saying a word to anyone. Dom put this lad in a position of trust, if there was a problem, the lad should have spoke up. Dom rings him and he didnt have the decency to answer the calls.

Secondly, the lad rings him back and demands a pay rise which equates to 75% and I say demand because he has put Dom in a position here... its like being held to ransom.

Thirdly the trust has gone, and when that walks out the door it will never return.

I think today we all see the other person as the 'victim' and feel sorry for them, let them off and give them a second, third, fourth chance. You cant do this in business, if the job runs late, or runs into penalty clause, you think your clients are going to take the same line with you? Trust me, you will be read the riot act, and get slaughtered down the line at payment time.

Im not a heartless piece of work, my lads all know the score, and if one of them starts to step out of line the others have a word, or tell me to. We all have a good understanding, if anyone is unhappy about their pay, they can talk to me or one of my top lads. Sometimes they have a point, other times they are just trying it on, and they are told that point blank. If they arent happy then, I have to tell them to get their tools and go, that is the worst for me, but it has to be done. I would estimate most of the time six months down the line they ring me wanting to come back, but thats another story.

Lynn

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

you cannot have guy's downing tool's and walking off site unless there is a dire emergence, they represent your image/company and this then reflects on your reputation and this we all know is everything, so my advice to you Dom is Bin -him NOW, there are plenty more fish in the sea mate, especially at the moment!!! if he has let you down once he will let you down again guaranteed,:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've pretty much scanned the thread too, I missed it last night.

It's left with you as to what to do, and you'll do what you will do.

Though personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd have a long chat with him and see if there's anything specific that caused the walk-out. Surely he couldn't have just thought, right there and then, mid-job, 'oh, sod this, I'm off, I'm worth more than this'.

I don't think I'd take him back without serious changes. Perhaps if he want's more of a wage, he needs to get his own customers for you (or the business rather) and take on more responsibility, perhaps let him quote the odd job and pay him a little for every quote he wins or something. Show him how hard it is to run the business and not just turn up, work, go home.

I'd certainly give him a rollocking for walking off the job. I know guys that'd thump their lads if they did that and left tools there. I know others that'd pack the tools in their van and say they were stolen and really make him feel like he's useless. I don't think I'd go down those roads but this guy does need to learn his lesson, if he's to come back that is.

As for the wage generally, I think it's a fair wage considering he's not got many other options now he's left the army, left your business, what else will he not stick to?

If he's a brilliant tiler, the reason he's not going alone is probably because he just can't or doesn't want to run a business. So he's an employee, and that's a fair employee's wage.

I know Cheshire is considered a really affluent area. It's got more Ferarri's per square mile than anywhere else in the country. It has more footballers first homes than any other county. Though bringing it all into reality, this lad isn't a footballer and I'm sure he doesn't own a ferarri. There has to be general workers in even Cheshire, and this lad's one of them.

If he's not happy to take on more of a role and agree you'll dock him his week's notice the next time he walks off even an hour early, to get a little more cash, then he's not worth the extra monitoring and hassle making sure he's doing everything right, let alone the extra wage.

I'm sure you'd find MANY new tilers on here that would be more than willing to accept even less than that wage to gain some of your experience and experience of their own. Give somebody a chance who wants the chance, I say. :thumbsup:

Once bitten; twice shy.

D

DHTiling

Whats up with you men! your begining to think like women or something?! Whats with this soppy talk....ohh if hes a good worker.....if hes worth his wages, the fact remains, he walked of site without a word, leaving someone to clear up the mess! Then rings and says he wants an increase of 75%! No no no!
We've all been through hardship when learning this trade, we've all had to take crap on jobs, got out of bed for work when we've been ill, and we stuck at it. If he thinks he can get that kind of money someplace else let him go! Stop all this mollycoddling talk, and Hillhead has a point, yes 9/10 there is normally a woman behind it, and if shes putting him up to this, then why doesnt she get of her lazy behind and instead of churning out kids like a reject from the Jeremy Kyle show, and go get a job herself?
This lad needs to see what its like out there in the 'real world' if you take him back, your being held to ransom. Did he give a second thought to you having to clean up all the buckets and stuff...no he did not! Im fed up with sob stories about how kids are having it tough out there, we've all had it tough....end of story.

Stick to your guns, and find yourself a good lad who really wants to learn and stick at it....(and while your at it find me one to!).

Sorry to rant, but Ive been there, and its a thorn in my side.

Pebbs

OOOO! I like it when you get angry lynn..:lol:

D

diamondtiling

Update. He has gone, his Mum rang me and raged about his new girlfriend always moaning about money etc etc.

Adam (16) starts in the morning at 7.30 sharp and he came to me of his own accord, his bro works for my mate and heard about Neil, Adam was waiting for me at 7.30 this morning to ask for a job, I arrived at 8.30 so he had waited over an hour... he worked like a trooper, and he makes a good brew so he is hired.
Dropped him off at 6pm and he cant wait till tomorrow....watch this space.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam (16) starts in the morning at 7.30 sharp and he came to me of his own bat, his bro works for my mate and heard about Neil, Adam was waiting for me at 7.30 this morning to ask for a job, I arrived at 8.30 so he had waited over an hour... he worked like a trooper, and he makes a good brew so he is hired.
Dropped him off at 6pm and he cant wait till tomorrow....watch this space.

I've followed this thread with some interest Dom as I've had loads of yong lads over the years - regrettably the bad ones far outweigh the good ones, but thats just the youth of today IMHO:mad2:

I'm over the moon you've clicked for a new lad, that sounds decent enough - hopefully it's not just new job enthusiasm and he sticks it out:thumbsup:

I had a lad who at first seemed useless, but by the time he was 19/20 he was running 140 unit council re-vite contracts for me with great success:thumbsup:

I'm sure neil will come good eventually:smilewinkgrin:

D

diamondtiling

I've followed this thread with some interest Dom as I've had loads of young lads over the years - regrettably the bad ones far outweigh the good ones, but thats just the youth of today IMHO:mad2:

I'm over the moon you've clicked for a new lad, that sounds decent enough - hopefully it's not just new job enthusiasm and he sticks it out:thumbsup:

I had a lad who at first seemed useless, but by the time he was 19/20 he was running 140 unit council re-vite contracts for me with great success:thumbsup:

I'm sure neil will come good eventually:smilewinkgrin:

Thats why your eyes look like your avatar

:oops:

:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Neil walked?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.