Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CDS

Have only skimmed over previous posts so apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said.

Agree with others that if he's a good worker he's worth the money but on the flip side do you have any grief from him? Timekeeping. work quality, manners etc? Are you hacked off because he stitched you up or because you've lost a good 'un?

Sounds to me like he's had a barny with the new missus and is on a downer. Personally if he was any good I'd be buying him a beer and negotiating a compromise? i.e tiered pay rises, bonuses, performance related pay or some sort of other incentives that don't actually mean giving a weekly payrise (e.g a £100 a month good work bonus is better for you than giving a £40 pw payrise)

....And if he's only borderline then it gives you the opportunity to get someone else in.....

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Low? how do you work that out Rob?

Sorry Dom, went to cook, (Chicken Milanese if you're interested:lol:)

I wasn't having a dig, I just thought that seemed like a low wage to me for a 20 year old that had 2 years experience under his belt. I don't condone walking out, EVER!. In fact, and this will make you laugh, when I was placed in his position many years ago, I recruited a mate of mine to work for my boss, then walked, just so he wouldn't been inconvienced. The guy I got to take my place is still in the trade...and now works for me, but I digress...

It's all very well relating it to minimum wage but this guy must have to work harder than somebody stacking shelves who can go home at the end of the day and not give a toss as to the running of a company. You say that you buy him breakfast every day, what does this cost you £4 a day? when you only earn what he does then giving him that £4 extra a day (he can bring sandwiches) it accounts to nearly an extra 10% a week for him.

If he's a good lad i'd keep him, you don't have to give him a pay rise but maybe as has been mentioned before, set him targets with bonuses. Give him hope and a way forward.

If you are training somebody up and it cost you time and money then that should be reflected in their money but there hits a point where you have to up their money, which pays them what they are worth. Otherwise somebody else benefits from you training them up, as they get a ready made worker.

It must be said that 14 years ago I used to get paid £30 a day, out of that £30 I had to buy a train ticket to London and my own lunch, this cost £15 a day! I still did it as I needed the money but man did it hurt that I knew they were charging me out at £120 a day, I didn't expect anywhere near that but there came a time where I could no longer survive on the money.

P

Pebbs

Whats up with you men! your begining to think like women or something?! Whats with this soppy talk....ohh if hes a good worker.....if hes worth his wages, the fact remains, he walked of site without a word, leaving someone to clear up the mess! Then rings and says he wants an increase of 75%! No no no!
We've all been through hardship when learning this trade, we've all had to take crap on jobs, got out of bed for work when we've been ill, and we stuck at it. If he thinks he can get that kind of money someplace else let him go! Stop all this mollycoddling talk, and Hillhead has a point, yes 9/10 there is normally a woman behind it, and if shes putting him up to this, then why doesnt she get of her lazy behind and instead of churning out kids like a reject from the Jeremy Kyle show, and go get a job herself?
This lad needs to see what its like out there in the 'real world' if you take him back, your being held to ransom. Did he give a second thought to you having to clean up all the buckets and stuff...no he did not! Im fed up with sob stories about how kids are having it tough out there, we've all had it tough....end of story.

Stick to your guns, and find yourself a good lad who really wants to learn and stick at it....(and while your at it find me one to!).

Sorry to rant, but Ive been there, and its a thorn in my side.

Pebbs

D

davy_G

I would look at it from a business point of view. Is he good to have employed?
Does he make you money? Is he worth having? Can you make more money with or without him?
After you answer that and you decide you need someone, then decide if its him and speak to him to resolve HIS problems. Negotiate a bonus scheme based on productive hours or output. Thats how you earn your money and the sonner he grasps the fact that he only has a job because you work hard to keep him in work!
Maybe a new man/boy might be the way forward as he might just walk again after all the effort!

I got my cousins lad a job with a plumber, serving his time. The plumber gave him 20 quid a week for a 3 day week. Other 2 days in college. He worked him from 8am to often after 8 and asked him to come in Sats with no more money.
I had a word with the plumber whos attitude was the lad should be grateful of the experience. I said he was taking the **** and I got the lad a start with another of my plumbers, still only gets 20 quid a week but if he works late he goes onto a low hourly rate and comes with me on Sats when i need a hand out. I pay him in a day what he makes in a month...but he has to graft for it!

So look out for your business first, your not a charity but everyone needs to be treated fairly, including you by your workers

D

diamondtiling

Whats up with you men! your begining to think like women or something?! Whats with this soppy talk....ohh if hes a good worker.....if hes worth his wages, the fact remains, he walked of site without a word, leaving someone to clear up the mess! Then rings and says he wants an increase of 75%! No no no!
We've all been through hardship when learning this trade, we've all had to take crap on jobs, got out of bed for work when we've been ill, and we stuck at it. If he thinks he can get that kind of money someplace else let him go! Stop all this mollycoddling talk, and Hillhead has a point, yes 9/10 there is normally a woman behind it, and if shes putting him up to this, then why doesnt she get of her lazy behind and instead of churning out kids like a reject from the Jeremy Kyle show, and go get a job herself?
This lad needs to see what its like out there in the 'real world' if you take him back, your being held to ransom. Did he give a second thought to you having to clean up all the buckets and stuff...no he did not! Im fed up with sob stories about how kids are having it tough out there, we've all had it tough....end of story.

Stick to your guns, and find yourself a good lad who really wants to learn and stick at it....(and while your at it find me one to!).

Pebbs

Just summed it up perfectly Pebbs.

:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

im sorry you think we are a bunch of old women Lynn for wanting Dom to give the lad another chance

when I was a lad I was a grafter and earned my place on the crew, I would have worked for nothing just to be there every day but as it was I earned the same as the long experianced hands. the only ones that objected were the the other young lads that were learning. I took great delight in winding them up and telling them I was worth the money and they werent and to get off their butts and work for it

my governer used to laugh but one day he sat me down and told me I see everything as black and white because im young and have no resposibilities but as you get older everything becomes grey and you see things differently

how right he was, find out whats wrong with him and if hes a lost cause cut him free, you have a business to run. if its down to money pay him what hes worth, if your leaving him on jobs then pay him for the responsibility but you expect the job done right and completed in time, its the way we all learnt

J

jay

Pebbs

Pebbs think you hit the nail on the head couldnt of put it better:thumbsup:

Reply to Neil walked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Neil walked?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.