UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss New member with tiling problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Taken from the Genesis instaltion sheet
Installation
1. Substrate:
The substrate must be stable, level and free of loose material. Before installation, the GMAT mats are cut to the
required dimensions. Thin bed mortar or fluidised bed mortar is applied to the substrate using a 4 x 4 mm serrated
trowel. The tile adhesive must be matched to the substrate. Best results are usually achieved with hydraulically
bonding thin bed mortar, flex mortar or fluidised bed mortar.
Recommendations for ideally matched products can be obtained directly from Genesis.
2. Installation:
Then the mats, with their woven carrier fleece facing downwards, are pressed into place and hammered flat. The thin
bed mortar must form a strong mechanical bond with the carrier fleece under the GMAT mat. The mats must be laid in
the thin bed mortar within the setting time of the adhesive. Access crawl boards should be used to prevent damage to
the mats during installation.

Attachments

• Genesis-G-Mat-technical-sheet.pdf
    489.4 KB · Views: 28
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have just looked at the pics, the mat has been laid the right way up. I had a problem with a Genesis mat not long ago, I cut through the mat 1m2 and ripped it up, the genesis rep was a witness. It seperated exactly like the pictures, the rep told me this is just what should happen. The fleece stayed anchored to the floor, the top just peeled off clean. Sorry this doesn't shed any light on the problem.:thumbsup:

R

rhgnag

Hi Phil,

It is a while since I checked in on this post due to general hectic, and we are still wrangling with various parties about who is responsible. I am assuming that when you laid your problem mat you observed all the standards in terms of subfloor preparation? A concern I have is that as the plywood is only 9mm that this could be a contributory factor even though it is pretty solid on the boards, and one that Genesis have cited as they have visited site now. Although to be fair to Genesis they are not just walking away from the problem, and are trying to be helpful, but they have not admitted full liability either.

What did you do to rectfiy the situation?

Rob

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New member with tiling problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
New member with tiling problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.