Discuss New mitre saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Rob, if you're used to doing all your cutting of trim on the flat, the Makita that I ordered is supposed to be The Bees Knees. I just got an email saying that it has shipped, so I can wait to give it a run next week.

This is it: Makita USA - Tool Details - LS0714

Dust collection is supposed to be excellent. Cut quality excellent.

My old Hitachi slider is going to stay in the shop now because it's a pig about dust, and I can't use it in a customer's house and most of our jobs are now in condos and other places where there is no where to set up outside.

I decided to go with this Makita in part because it is so much less than the Kapex, both in terms of price and overall size and weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BoldreChris

I'm looking for a new mitre saw too. My current DeWalt DW718 is just too big and heavy to use indoors and a bit overkill for kitchen work. So I'm looking for a small lightweight but supremely accurate saw which can do kitchen pelmets, cornices and kickboards/plinths. I think it's got to be a slider to do the 165mm plinths. I like the look of the Makita LS0714 but it is very pricey. Anyone using a "value" saw which they would really rate ? I think all I can afford just now is something like the Evolution Rage 3-S (£95 at Screwfix this week) or an Erbauer or similar.

M

Mike

i
I'm looking for a new mitre saw too. My current DeWalt DW718 is just too big and heavy to use indoors and a bit overkill for kitchen work. So I'm looking for a small lightweight but supremely accurate saw which can do kitchen pelmets, cornices and kickboards/plinths. I think it's got to be a slider to do the 165mm plinths. I like the look of the Makita LS0714 but it is very pricey. Anyone using a "value" saw which they would really rate ? I think all I can afford just now is something like the Evolution Rage 3-S (£95 at Screwfix this week) or an Erbauer or similar.
i had a ryobi 8 inch before the makita, cost me £130 but not a patch on the makita even with a new blade. worth the extra money imo. i got mine free along with my trend jig and router via a small business grant

T

tfs

Havent used mine much yet. Was supposed to start a big bathroom job with a friend a few weeks back but got delayed as customer had an accident. Start a small kitchen job this week replacing doors and work tops etc (as well as some tiling). Will have a chance to cut some cornice etc so can give an update on this.

I did some facings with it last week and got good results with those (you see how accurae this things realy are with larger/ wider peice of wood though)

C

Colour Republic

Ok so I put in an order for the Makita LS1018L today. Been ringing round the local suppliers for the last week or so and now of them can touch the price i've just bought it for, £415 inc next day, would have preffered to support the local boys but the cheapest was £475 and that's from a firm who I buy quite a bit from so I decided the £60 was better off in my pocket!

So quite excited to get the new toy tomorrow, got a ton of skirting and arch's to do and also the trims in the new kitchen so should be able to put it through its paces. I'm interested to see if the laser guide is any cop as i've not seen one yet that is anywhere close to being spot on.

C

Colour Republic

Got it today and WOW!!! I was always happy with my Dewalt but after using it for so many years I knew it was getting a bit tired but had no idea how bad it had got until I tried the Makita today. It cuts so cleanly and that isn't just down to a new blade as i've of course had many new blades in the old Dewalt.

There is just one grumble that I have with it and that is that it has two safety levers not just one so you have to flick a lever and push a button before it will let you cut every time. I'm sure after using it a bit more it will just become second nature and not be a pain, I suppose it will just take time to get use to as I keep going to adjust things that are in a different place on this than the Dewalt.

The rollers whilist smooth, I will have to see if they build up with saw dust and become a bit ropey as they seem a little less protected than the dewalt but overall the design is streets ahead of my old one, one thing I do like is that it has a carry handle mounted on top which is very much welcome as the dewalt was always a pain to carry and more often than not would dig in my leg when moving from site to van. It's sometimes the small things that make all the difference.

Going to be using it a lot more tomorrow but the quick test I did today has already convinced me it's a great saw

Reply to New mitre saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I’m after a new hand held wet & dry saw cos my dewalts had it, and been looking at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I hope you are keeping well. Need a bit of advice on which tool is best to cut the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New mitre saw
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.