Discuss Nightmare !!! The Tiler Will Get Over It in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bcd-87

Hi Guys

The room I started today is a bathroom Referb.. Taken back to block work, dot & dabbed then skimmed.. Sounds great .

Any ideas ?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Hi sean

That's a possibility. There is a low window raveel almost straight after the bath ends.. I'm tiling full height one side and half height the other with no trims ( I know!! Not my idea ) so any board will show

It's going to have to be one of those plastic bath quadrants then.

S

SJPurdy

Bonding is not an approved surface to tile onto so that will need to be skimmed over. (I've never really understood why as years ago I and most other tilers I knew used it to straighten walls and then tiled over it with no probs!).
Discuss this problem with the customer and point out that the tiler can't bed out tiles to correct the work of other trades (I assume it still says this in the BS for tiling - it certainly used to).
If you just tile it everything will be your fault! so it is for the customer to say that he will accept a bad job or get the previous trades back to do their work correctly.
If the corner of the building is out of square so much that it cant be corrected by the plasterer and, when the long side of the bath is fitted up to the wall there is a gap at the short end of the bath then the bath has to be cut in to the plaster wall on one or two(if it is bad) walls.

P

p4ulo

How thick are the tiles? If the client has bought the wrong sized bath and the plumber has fitted the wrong sized bath, you need to have a chat with both of them and point out the problem. If the tiles are fairly thick you might get away with a thick silicone profile around the whole lot, or a moulded edge tile like the Victorians used to put around the tops of baths?
Either way, if they have both been idiots, surely it's not your problem.

I

Ian

No bath is too fixed before it is tiled. Scribe it in, it should move an inch. If not use flexi pipes to the taps and stick ball valves on them while you're at it. Get that bath move back. It'll only need to go back so much because of the tile and adhesive thickness etc
I think it's the short end of the bath in the pic Dan, the hole is too big.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Tile down where? You mean tuck behind the bath and go down the wall?
Down he wall to the bath and where a tile goes beyond it, let it go beyond it. Finish it all off and then let the customer who bought the wrong bath or the plumber who fitted the wrong bath get the wrong trim or wrong quadrant to cover said massive gap lol

Reply to Nightmare !!! The Tiler Will Get Over It in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB