Discuss Nightmare !!! The Tiler Will Get Over It in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
it wouldnt even be a slither it would look bad imo, boxing out would look crap too due to the sill being in the way and it not being a straight run

So packing 20mm of adhesive behind the tiles would look better? That's a chunky bit of trim needed.
I am right in thinking it's only around the bath being tiled?
Last thing I would be doing is packing out a whole wall for the sake of the bath being 1" short.

Two options the way I see it.
1. Batten and tile a small ledge
2. Let the tile fall below the bath and depending on the gap left, silicone seal.

M

Mr Tiler

id rather see a wide grout joint on the side than a tile tucked behind the bath and a 12mm silicone joint mate, i get what your saying about the batten but i would personally only do that if there was gonna be a decent cut to go in, in my opinion. bed out so tile is sitting on the bath it always looks better to me if it can be done and in this case without knowing if the wall is kicking out towards the top thats what i would do

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
id rather see a wide grout joint on the side than a tile tucked behind the bath and a 12mm silicone joint mate, i get what your saying about the batten but i would personally only do that if there was gonna be a decent cut to go in, in my opinion. bed out so tile is sitting on the bath it always looks better to me if it can be done and in this case without knowing if the wall is kicking out towards the top thats what i would do

I would batten and tile.
But ok, so pack the tiles out so it's sitting on the bath? Let's presume the wall is plumb. Tape measure in one of the pics is showing 22-25mm to the bath edge. So you would sooner have 20+mm if grout filled in on the edge of the tile? Really?

Again, I'll reiterate my question......

What adhesive would you use to bed a ceramic tile out near on an inch from the sub to meet the bath??

M

Mr Tiler

near on an inch? Tiles 8mm thick id bed out so tile is only just sitting on bath so that would give you 13-14mm of bedding out ali dont need the full thicknes of the tile sat on the bath just enough to hold until adhesive sets, so the grout joint would not be far off 11-12mm which yes is too much but whats the chap gonna do if they want it done? Im not trying to be a know it all just putting my opinion across is that not allowed? Id pva the walls first then i would use tanking paint to stick the tiles up and grout in with silicone mate

B

bcd-87

The walls where dot and dabbed originaly, I then said it wasn't good enough hence the bonding compound . Which due to the fourum Iv found that it's not and never has been suitable to tile direct onto.. Latest on the job is Iv had to pull off the client ran out of both wall and floor tiles and there special order only so I dident finish dident get payed and now have to find time to fit it in when the tiles arrive .. 8 m on the wall and 2 on the floor has turned into a bit of a nightmare

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Nightmare !!! The Tiler Will Get Over It in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB