UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss NortLondoner searching for 600x600+ size cream limestone or travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stonebro2

Re: NortLondoner searching for 600x600+ size cream limestone or traver

Dont buy Turkish Limestone then! If you buy Turkish Travertine be careful of quality - how many metres? If you need a lot 400m - 600m I have good contacts in Turkey and Spain if 2cm thick about 400sq.m to a container if 12mm thick then about 600/660 sq.m a container. You'll get best price plus if you wanted say stair treads or skirtings or window cills could be machined out there and crated and sent with your order - you will get about 1/2 to 2/3 best UK price - but obviously need somewhere to put 20 Crates of Stone

Lesser amounts you need a ball park metreage ( dont load it though- if you agree a price on a quantity - and then order less price will go up!!)

I have supplied Containers of Marble/Trav/Limestone to French Connection, Sandy Lane, Cape Town, France and several UK distributors

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Turkish tiler

Dont buy Turkish Limestone then! If you buy Turkish Travertine be careful of quality - how many metres? If you need a lot 400m - 600m I have good contacts in Turkey and Spain if 2cm thick about 400sq.m to a container if 12mm thick then about 600/660 sq.m a container. You'll get best price plus if you wanted say stair treads or skirtings or window cills could me machined out there and crated and sent with your order - you will get about 1/2 to 2/3 best UK price - but obviously need somewhere to put 20 Crates of Stone

Lesser amounts you need a ball park metreage ( dont load it though- if you agree a price on a quantity - and then order less price will go up!!)

I have supplied Containers of Marble/Trav/Limestone to French Connection, Sandy Lane, Cape Town, France and several UK distributors

it depends how much you pay for when you get stones from turkey don't write off turkish stone so easy some of the stuff they sell in shop in uk so called stones do would not even throw them to stray cats in turkey plus well known fact italians been buying millions of tons turkish stone and cut it slice it and sell it as italian stone :thumbsdown:

S

Stonebro2

I have travelled around Turkey quite a few times, and the pale limestones they have are not very hardy, you wouldnt want to be putting 150sq. m of Applestone on floor it would be knackered in a few years. The nicest Travertines are Denizli Beige, and you can get a good pale cream from Afyon, but that is where you need to take care - the other pale cream you can get is rubbish flip it over and its like Ginger biscuit. Putty coloured dense travertine from Mugla region is good quality but few people like the beige/greying colour. I started going to Turkey when I realised that TRV in Italy where supplying me Turkish. Crema Marfil lovely pale cream Marble from Spain worth a look - Good thing about Spain you can ship as little as 3 pallets quite economically. I started buying out Spain/Italy/Turkey before it became popular here.

S

Stonebro2

View attachment 46276
This was one of the Largest Cream marble quarries in the world. Not far from Alicante - when I bought from Spain - The Marble Association paid for my flight/hotel and stay whilst I was there. I dont know how much detail on the photo will remain but the specs at the bottom of the Mountain are 20ton blocks

T

Turkish tiler

probably you have been few different cities or places in turkey I can count at least 20 different cities, 200 different town and 2000 different villages dig out all different colour and different stones in turkey.
perhaps you have visted some historical places too and you have seen old marbles, lime stones, granits, vs stil standing they all been digged out from turkey

T

Turkish tiler

S

Stonebro2

Turkey is a fantastic resource for stone - I have a chart with all the colours if I can find it Ill let you know. But whether you buy Turkey/Italy/Spain you need to know the quality of the stone you are buying, and ideally have someone there for the packing prior to the shipping. Factories always, always but the best pieces to the outside. If you buy on colour alone you will get stuffed :)

S

Stonebro2

Turkey is a fantastic resource for stone - I have a chart with all the colours if I can find it Ill let you know. But whether you buy Turkey/Italy/Spain you need to know the quality of the stone you are buying, and ideally have someone there for the packing prior to the shipping. Factories always, always but the best pieces to the outside. If you buy on colour alone you will get stuffed :) The stock yards are full of rubbish that the Americans and Germans dont want and guess which little island buys it and sells it on Ebay for £12 - £18 a square metre. Which is why you hear people say "I'm not having travertine again it was rubbish (well yes yours was)"

Attachments

• Alicante 048.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Afyon Travertine.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Cream Travertine.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Karaman.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Pale Denizli.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Mut Travertine.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • crema marfil classico laid bouchon style 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Crema Marfil Standard.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 57
S

Stonebro2

Sogut, Antalya, Izmir, Denizli, Karaman, Mugla, Istanbul, Konya off the top of my head. The poverty is quite striking in Turkey - they want to join EU, but the standards of housing, minimum wage etc. are terrible. Of course you visit the Tourist areas and you dont really see it. I will never forget the boss of one factory asking a man to get a sample for me - and tramps in Leeds have better shoes. It makes you feel a bit 'dirty' when you are screwing them down on price.

T

Turkish tiler

Sogut, Antalya, Izmir, Denizli, Karaman, Mugla, Istanbul, Konya off the top of my head. The poverty is quite striking in Turkey - they want to join EU, but the standards of housing, minimum wage etc. are terrible. Of course you visit the Tourist areas and you dont really see it. I will never forget the boss of one factory asking a man to get a sample for me - and tramps in Leeds have better shoes. It makes you feel a bit 'dirty' when you are screwing them down on price.

I thought we were talking about stones not economics

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pebbs

You've gone completely of topic, Jerksey wanted some suggestions for a hard wearing cream stone/trav/marble and he got a load of sell, sell, sell, and turkish economics. Stonebro have you ever thought of opening a market stall and then you could flog them straight out the back of a container.

Jerksey, my advice to you would be this, go to a REPUTABLE showroom, and select something that appeals to you. Photos never do justice to material, you may want a uniform appearance or something with 'movement' in it. When you have made your selection I am sure you will get advice on the durability and pro's and con's of each material.

Pebbs

S

Stonebro2

Wind your neck in Pebbs - I wouldnt even get involved I would put him in touch direct with the factory.
Same thing with reputable showrooms I could tell you half a dozen who give things English sounding names and hike the price. Calling stone Creama Marfil when its a Turkish or Chinese Stone. Also Pebbs quite a few of the UK distributors got their first containers of stone from me.

D

DHTiling

Wind your neck in Pebbs - I wouldnt even get involved I would put him in touch direct with the factory.
Same thing with reputable showrooms I could tell you half a dozen who give things English sounding names and hike the price. Calling stone Creama Marfil when its a Turkish or Chinese Stone. Also Pebbs quite a few of the UK distributors got their first containers of stone from me.

What a sad sack you are. You take over a thread with your drivel of how big your company was , but where are you now ?

And you tell Lynn to wind her neck in ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Stonebro2

Go to Pisani or a company where you can view the stone - a main distributor - others to contact Strata slate & Stone, Artisan of Devises or speak to Stone Federation and ask about Stone quarries you can deal direct with - like Tadcaster building limestone (at Tadcaster part of Samuel Smiths Brewery) for a Tiling company go to the TTA site to find an approved contractor who fix to current guidelines and standards :smilewinkgrin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to NortLondoner searching for 600x600+ size cream limestone or travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
I am a customer not a tiler! My architect wants to lay limestone tiles directly on to the...
Replies
Views
G
Hello, We have the following project, we can take fixers for individual rooms if you are in...
Replies
Views
ozboz
O
O
.....I have a repeat client that has just had a good size kitchen extension built and I am...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Hi, I have a traditional 1960 house, I am adding an extension and I am paying a professional to...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.