UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss OK ANY SUGGESTIONS from in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

you top tiler's as to how to fix large format por's, to a stainless-steel floor that will move,in a swimming pool.
so the things to think about are as follows.
fixing to a stainless-steel sub straight.
that will flex,
that is underwater & out of water.
in hot /warm/cold water.
with a chemical mix in the water.
i will ask various adhesive manufactures ,to supply me with a spec. but any offers of how you would approach this would be an interesting read........ oh and i will post the results from said manufactures :thumbsup:

M

Mike Mike

Questions of clarification first.

Why will it flex?
How much flex will there be?
How thick is the stainless steel, and what grade of stainless steel?
Please clarify why it will be "underwater & out of water".
"In hot / warm / cold water". Clarify the temperature changes please.

The Danish shipping line DFDS have tiled floors in their wetroom floors on their ferries. I do not know if the substrate is stainless steel, or galvanised steel, or what spec, but it is steel. So right from the off, in principle, this is doable.

I will lay down a marker and say epoxy resin adhesive and grout. Subject to your responses to my questions, then I'll fine tune it with a suitable manufacturer and spec if I can. Can't say fairer than that :thumbsup:

M

Mike Mike

i only know at the mo that it is stainless steel,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChL21DBu94 this is the kind of thing,
i will get to know more as it all come's to light
and will do a complete job run through if i get the job , oh it's in Hertfordshire

At first I had no idea what I was watching, but eventually figured it out. But what really made my day was looking at the comment someone had posted:
"Seems legit", ROFL. :lol:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

That's very kind of you Luke, but in fairness, I'm just guessing at the moment. I know that steel can be tiled onto, but the clincher is stainless steel, which is a much more difficult proposition I think (try welding stainless steel for example...).
you can have a stainless steel mesh tacked ( welded ) on to it maybe for a mechanical key ?

D

doug boardley

Questions of clarification first.

Why will it flex?
How much flex will there be?
How thick is the stainless steel, and what grade of stainless steel?
Please clarify why it will be "underwater & out of water".
"In hot / warm / cold water". Clarify the temperature changes please.

The Danish shipping line DFDS have tiled floors in their wetroom floors on their ferries. I do not know if the substrate is stainless steel, or galvanised steel, or what spec, but it is steel. So right from the off, in principle, this is doable.

I will lay down a marker and say epoxy resin adhesive and grout. Subject to your responses to my questions, then I'll fine tune it with a suitable manufacturer and spec if I can. Can't say fairer than that :thumbsup:
great post!!! one of the best I've read:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

That's very kind of you Luke, but in fairness, I'm just guessing at the moment. I know that steel can be tiled onto, but the clincher is stainless steel, which is a much more difficult proposition I think (try welding stainless steel for example...).
I shall ask the wife,,,,she's a welding lecturer and is coded to ASMY 9 (?), she served her time welding stainless water turbines.

M

Mike Mike

i only know at the mo that it is stainless steel,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChL21DBu94 this is the kind of thing,
i will get to know more as it all come's to light
and will do a complete job run through if i get the job , oh it's in Hertfordshire

I see that the idea is similar to a Dutch company that have been making these for rehabilitation in hospitals etc. There's even a video showing a simulated build, including a bit of tiling, LOL. Myrtha Pools - Variopool BV - The Movable Floor Company

Cards on the table. Right now, I don't know 100% if BAL FastFlex to fix and Floor Epoxy to grout is 100% compatible (due to the stainless steel), but I guarantee that an email to both Agor (the manufacturer of your project) AND to VarioPool (who have supplied these pools for the 2012 Olympics) asking "what adhesive and grout do you recommend, or has been successfully used in past installations", followed by contacting the Tech Depts of whatever brands they come back with, and your question could be answered quickly and completely.

M

Mike Mike

Ok, brilliant thread! IMO, agreeing with swedish mike here, the only product suitable is bal fastflex, just had a look in book and they state it is suitable for stainless steel. Ive never done it myself so get as much info as you can on this one, failing that, swedish tends to be handy with a lighter, get him to burn it down!!

LOL, my initial thoughts were "let's burn something" but then I read "swimming pool, made of stainless steel" and it sort of scuppered my plans... :mad2:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

ok sorry guys just been reading about a guy called DOM, totally shocked by what i read.....:yikes::yikes::yikes: anyway not sure of the grade of stainless yet Doug i will find out monday ,and BAL have been asked and are looking into it,i used ardex most but ,will give any top adhesive a go as i'am a contractor with no preferences , the sub-straight is ss because the floor lifter is made by engineers,in the form of a scissors lift .....

Reply to OK ANY SUGGESTIONS from in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
http://www.*************************.com/water-underfloor-heating-152-w.asp Supplying Water...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
C
Hi I have 6 bathrooms to do with 900x330mm ceramic tiles 160m2 of 900x600mm limestone I''ve...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.