Discuss opinions..shafted or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

...bit of a who dunnit but feel I've been shafted royal style on this one.
Working for a joiner (so called) who's customer had asked him if he could get me in to tile a newly fitted kitchen and stripped out bathroom.
Me to supply tiles, adhesive etc.
Didn't want anything fancy, infact didn't have a clue what they wanted so I just said how about bumpy whites throughout, ok yes they'll be fine im informed through the joiner,thinking about it after I decided bumpy whites might not look great as a kitchen splashy so said to joiner think kitchen might look better in CREAM(important) brickbond metros, I've even got a few mosaic in brown and CREAM in my shed I might be able to make a border out of if there's enough... yeah sounds good said the joiner that had apparently rang his customer and she liked the idea, note..I've never met or spoken to the customer, big mistake, anyway so knocked off Splashback weds and yesterday.
Had another little job to do this morning so I'm not on site but gets a phone call from joiner saying customer had just been to site and metros are wrong colour,should have been white :|
Wohho hang on, I said cream all along, anyhow to save face and keep the customer happy went to tile giant n bought 4sqm of white metros n overtiled half of it this aft with setaflex..back to finish. It in the morning :(
Joiners insisting I said white, but I know for a fact I said cream, I wouldn't just go out and pick cream off my own bat :(
Well it'll be the last time I EVER deal with a middleman so lesson learnt on this one, oh and no comments on tile over tile either, might just push me over the edge...least I didn't have to set out again :)

WP_20160722_15_40_24_Pro.jpg WP_20160722_18_08_40_Pro.jpg

D

dave l and l

i supply customers, i will make money on the tiles if they have only went online or looked in a brochure or let me bring the samples, if they go to shop i will split the difference on my discount, you can sometimes do well out of it.
at least it was just the splash back, think i would be having another word with joiner right enough

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I don't supply tiles anymore either, not because of this scenario, just because there's no profit in it like there used to be, customers seem to be able to walk into tile shops off the street and get 'trade' prices, gone are the day where we could make a few quid before we even got out of bed on a Monday morning.
You must be dealing with the wrong tile shops.....I can make a good profit on tiles I supply.....got 20m2 floor in a couple of weeks and will make £180 for just picking them up and I got the money off the customer as a deposit....can't loose really.
:)

S

Spare Tool

I don't supply tiles anymore either, not because of this scenario, just because there's no profit in it like there used to be, customers seem to be able to walk into tile shops off the street and get 'trade' prices, gone are the day where we could make a few quid before we even got out of bed on a Monday morning.
...and another good reason not to like splashies either ;)

S

Spare Tool

You must be dealing with the wrong tile shops.....I can make a good profit on tiles I supply.....got 20m2 floor in a couple of weeks and will make £180 for just picking them up and I got the money off the customer as a deposit....can't loose really.
:)
Thought I was onto a decent earner on this one, hahaha had £200 profit in materials for kitchen n bathroom but now I'm a day n a half down on labour n £50 in materials...some you win :|

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You have to be careful you don't hit the VAT threshold buying and selling tiles with vat on and then going over whatever it is turnover (70k?) and 35 of it ends up being tiles and adhesives and now your prices to customers for labour is 20% more expensive than the next man because your price has vat on.

That aside, what a ****.

Email in future or always say can you confirm that via email or text for me so I can stick it in the customers file or something.

I

Ian

Think VAT is 81 grand now, I don't supply much at all anymore, no tiles and very little addy/grout, I seem to be working for a small group of bathroom fitters/interior companies that supply the lot, I just turn up with my labour, yes I lose a few quid on materials mark up but, I don't have to go out and quote in the evenings and get a regular income, not going to be a millionaire but, I get to see my kids grow up and am home at half 4 everyday, might change in the future but, right now, it suits me perfectlyly.

S

Spare Tool

Think VAT is 81 grand now, I don't supply much at all anymore, no tiles and very little addy/grout, I seem to be working for a small group of bathroom fitters/interior companies that supply the lot, I just turn up with my labour, yes I lose a few quid on materials mark up but, I don't have to go out and quote in the evenings and get a regular income, not going to be a millionaire but, I get to see my kids grow up and am home at half 4 everyday, might change in the future but, right now, it suits me perfectlyly.
Sounds perfect, unless your supplying pallets of adhesive for a job its not worth the running about just for £20 profit on three bags of addy..
Was talking about this with Craig this morning and we're gonna go halves on one..i hammered local shop down to £11 a bag on a 50 pallet of grey standard setaflex, retailing it to individual customers at £20 a bag, which is still cheaper than they can buy it retail, there's £450 to be made on a pallet :)

W

White Room

Sounds perfect, unless your supplying pallets of adhesive for a job its not worth the running about just for £20 profit on three bags of addy..
Was talking about this with Craig this morning and we're gonna go halves on one..i hammered local shop down to £11 a bag on a 50 pallet of grey standard setaflex, retailing it to individual customers at £20 a bag, which is still cheaper than they can buy it retail, there's £450 to be made on a pallet :)

How much would they normally charge for a bag.

S

Spare Tool

I'd wait to get paid for the splash back before I started the bathroom, I may have even told them to find someone else. But that's just happy old me!
That did cross my mind John, first thoughts was actually pack up n right it off, rang the misses n she talked me into putting things right for the customers sake...not the joiners!!

T

Time's Ran Out

That did cross my mind John, first thoughts was actually pack up n right it off, rang the misses n she talked me into putting things right for the customers sake...not the joiners!!
That's why we love them!
They cut all emotion out of a relationship and plan what they're going to spend the money on. And they're always right.

Reply to opinions..shafted or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Morning guys and gals My grandma had this hanging in her kitchen for as long as I can remember...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB