Discuss Overkill - is this a wise layering for UFH? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

So, I'm doing my own floor, and for the first time I'm putting wire underfloor heating over concrete.
Small bathroom, just over 2m squared of floor free for heating.
2nd floor flat, 60's build, thick concrete slab floor, few signs of old crackage.

Is this a good layering of products???

Prime slab with BOND SBR.
Combed out 8mm notch layer of flexible adhesive.
I've found some cheap cheap 6mm insulation boards.
WARMUP loose-wire UFH cable.
SLC to just cover wires.
4mm notch layer of flexible adhesive.
Schluter DITRA matting.
8mm Notch layer of flexible adhesive.
8mm glazed porcelain floor tile.
Phew.....!!!

I'm just worried this seems like a big layer of stuff for the heat to get through from the UFH??
Any advice. even if its just to say - YEAH, GO FOR IT! would be great, thanks.

Just a personal preference but 'Yeah go for it'
I always use ditra when UFH is involved, even though the UCM not necessarily needed i have seen a few jobs with porcelain crack and blow grout due to expansion.
It does cost my customers more, but still gives off a lovely warmth to the tiles even using the more commonly used (in my case) 100w per m2 kits.

Thanks for your response. Where in the stack would you lay the ditra. Would you lay it on top of the wires after they've been levelled over or would you lay the wires on the ditra.

I would lay your loose wires and make sure they are tacked down well, once you have Levelled over them for Protection. once fully dry I would then lay the Ditra on top of the Leveller using your 4x4 trowel.

If your going to use the route of Ditra for the safety of expansion etc, why not look into a product by Schluter called Ditra Heat?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Overkill - is this a wise layering for UFH? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m in Hampton SW London and have a floor problem. Wunda UFH water heating was installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB